Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
The all around look of the hat to my eyes, and the Stetson Lot Stamp is an earlier number when compared to Dinerman's Pre-WWI Stetson which was believed to have been refurbished in the 20s. He also believes it to be pre-WWWI

http://vintagehaberdashers.com/2013/05/14/1910s-stetson-velour-fedora-hat/

but knowing me, I could most definately be wrong, and it could be 20s... but it has that older feel to it. Whenever it was made, not a bad purchase at $20.

Steve, thank you! I was surprised to find the NRA label, as there was no mention of it in the ad!!

Brad, it's possible. I saw the resemblance, and I too assume it may have been a HCoA product. Great Dobbs you scored, by the way. I look forward to seeing more photos of that one!

Last edited:

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Shudde Bros. (Shudde's) has been around since 1907, so that is consistent.

There still is a Shudde Bros. but the old downtown location was closed a few years ago. I don't know what the new place is like. The old place was very cool, but the inventory was mostly cowboy hats, and some lesser hats of other kinds. I have a very good Montecristi from them from the '70s. Unfortunately it doesn't fit me.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Shudde Bros. (Shudde's) has been around since 1907, so that is consistent.

There still is a Shudde Bros. but the old downtown location was closed a few years ago. I don't know what the new place is like. The old place was very cool, but the inventory was mostly cowboy hats, and some lesser hats of other kinds. I have a very good Montecristi from them from the '70s. Unfortunately it doesn't fit me.

I've had a couple hats from Shudde Bros. in the past but they have usually been Open Road/Strat type hats. Ive never had a hat from Shudde Bros that was this old and in this style.

Maybe one day a newspaper advertisement will show up. It appears Austrian Velours (JHS at the top) like the one above were popular (also prized) throughout the US from about 1910 to 1940.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
I've had a couple hats from Shudde Bros. in the past but they have usually been Open Road/Strat type hats. Ive never had a hat from Shudde Bros that was this old and in this style.

I first went into Shudde Bros. in the early '90s. By then, their good hats were mostly cowboy hats. They still carried Kangol caps, inexpensive straw hats for golf, caps of various kinds, and a few felt hats that weren't cowboy hats. But they didn't have hardly any high quality felt non-cowboy hats or dressier straw hats. The Montecristi I have from them was my father-in-law's, and it is a truly good Montecristi Panama hat of fine and even weaving - the sort that might sell for at least $400 or $500 now. I would guess he got it in the late '70s. I really wish it was my size.

Shudde Bros. carried better hats until the demand evaporated in the '60s. The old store was an ancient building. There must have been some old hats and the old hat making equipment was in there. I wonder what happened to the old inventory.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
This thread needs a bump so...

The Paragon

AH HA! So you were the one who got that Paragon! ;)

It is even more fantastic than the original auction photos. I LOVE those early up brims! That triple row stitching matched with the up brim curl is just perfect! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

A recent one. M.W.B. Stolzf. Luxury Velour.

11298337794_62f777096e_c.jpg

11297839446_f290e086f7_c.jpg

Alan, Justin, Richard, Thanks!

Here is another favorite I picked up a few months ago.

C.G. Wilke Velour

9605170261_cfab144382_b.jpg

9608426544_8a383da404_b.jpg

Attachments

• 9605170261_cfab144382_b.jpg
    9605170261_cfab144382_b.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 238

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Steve, both hats are fantastic. That M.W.B. Stolzf. Luxury Velour looks especially high quality. Its beautiful! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou