Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

1930. To mid ww11 is an accurate ball park range

Vic -- Is the 1930 date based on the first use of the roundel?

(This image posted by @Just Daniel earlier).

41e90c29-c60f-4bb5-b1b5-722ca158bda9-png.255844

Would the white size/blocking/reorder tag put it closer to the 1930 date than mid-'30s?

@Jesse John -- is there a lot number on the back of the sweat?

I still can't get a handle on this dating stuff ... :oops:

Just Daniel

One Too Many
The white combination reorder/inventory tag is usually taken to mean a 20s hat, but the trademark application for the Stetson roundel is pretty clear that the roundel’s earliest use is 1930. You can never be sure, but trademark application dates are very significant indicators.

With the two together I would be comfortable saying this is a very early ‘30s hat. A really great find in a 3X!

Daniel

Hello everyone, I need some help dating this long haired, 3x beaver, Stetson. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to those who have sent me some info already and @deadlyhandsome for directing me here.
View attachment 311949

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The white combination reorder/inventory tag is usually taken to mean a 20s hat, but the trademark application for the Stetson roundel is pretty clear that the roundel’s earliest use is 1930. You can never be sure, but trademark application dates are very significant indicators.

With the two together I would be comfortable saying this is a very early ‘30s hat. A really great find in a 3X!

Daniel
I’ve no idea where you got that stuff about the white stickers, I can count the number of white stickers that I have seen on my fingers.

Jesse John

One of the Regulars
@Jesse John -- is there a lot number on the back of the sweat?
Here is a photo of the stamp, Im, pretty sure this is the only one on there. No sign of a LOT number like my older nutria hats as @alanfgag mentioned!
Yes that is where I came up with the 1930 date, mid war date was from the Boyd hat.
Thank you for assisting with this mystery! There's much on TFL that I have missed, being a new member. Thank you for pulling things out of the archives
Is this the Boyd hat referenced above?
Holy cow... I've NEVER seen anything like that before. Looks like a one of kind lid, no doubt.

Daniel

Daniel, Thank you for your knowledge!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.59.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.59.08 PM.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 305

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Yes, that is very true. The few I recall seeing and reading about (including the three I have) are probably 1920s hats based on their other identifiers.

In my case I have a straw with a ~20s crest, an incoming 3X with a 20s beaver/rainbow/rectangle crest, and a probable 20s bowler.

The straw and bowler could be earlier, it is still just best guesswork.

I’ve no idea where you got that stuff about the white stickers, I can count the number of white stickers that I have seen on my fingers.

Last edited:

Nice hat and great addition. It's got mixed messages in terms of the manufacturing tags and marks... perhaps a result of WWII era shortages requiring a reach back in supplies. The board reinforced crown liner is a later derby era detail - great to have one without dents. Thanks for posting.

Royal Stetson montecristi c.1940 (perhaps late 1930s). Fine condition save for the missing rear sweatband bow. The 2" sweatband has a moisture barrier behind it that extends most of the way but does not peek behind it. Sweat affixed to the reed with 18 stitches per inch. Pretty remarkable quality in the blocking, finishing and in the evenness of the weave for what must have been a modestly priced summer hat. The early Royal Stetson rondel has always puzzled me - very complex design with the bifurcated foil stamp in gold and copper. The copper has oxidized making it ghostly and adding to the mystery.

052521_2.jpg

052521_3.jpg

052521_4.jpg

052521_5.jpg

052521_6.jpg

052521_1.jpg

Just Daniel

One Too Many
WOW!

Royal Stetson montecristi c.1940 (perhaps late 1930s). Fine condition save for the missing rear sweatband bow. The 2" sweatband has a moisture barrier behind it that extends most of the way but does not peek behind it. Sweat affixed to the reed with 18 stitches per inch. Pretty remarkable quality in the blocking, finishing and in the evenness of the weave for what must have been a modestly priced summer hat. The early Royal Stetson rondel has always puzzled me - very complex design with the bifurcated foil stamp in gold and copper. The copper has oxidized making it ghostly and adding to the mystery.

052521_2.jpg

052521_3.jpg

052521_4.jpg

052521_5.jpg

052521_6.jpg

052521_1.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Great hats all around, gentlemen!

According to a recent tag find, this Real Nutria makes the cut for this thread.
View attachment 331430 View attachment 331427 View attachment 331426 View attachment 331429 View attachment 331431 View attachment 331428

Still need to add my Standard Quality hommy here too

Thank you, Alan. No LOT found on the Derby either.

A better fitting addition, Standard Quality frayed end ribbon Homburg. Lot # 7267

View attachment 332142 View attachment 332144 View attachment 332145 View attachment 332146 View attachment 332147 View attachment 332148

052521_2.jpg

052521_3.jpg

052521_4.jpg

052521_5.jpg

052521_6.jpg

052521_1.jpg

House rules are strict on adding new black derbies... has to be clean, has to fit and it has to have a third thing of some sort. Finding a good candidate at the flea market usually qualifies if the price is fair. Here is an early depression era Select Quality (LOT66XX) sold at Buffalo's storied The Kleinhans - a hat that never left town. Comfort Fit sweatband angles away from the hat body at its turned edge and gives a little suspension spring - it is very comfortable to wear.

select_derby_1.jpg

select_derby_2.jpg

select_derby_3.jpg

select_derby_4.jpg

select_derby_5.jpg

select_derby_6.jpg

select_derby_7.jpg

select_derby_8.jpg

select_derby_9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members