Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just snagged this one. I'm very curious as to whether the date indicated is correct.

_1271380122824.jpg

_1271380116339.jpg

_1271380129663.jpg

_1271380137754.jpg

_1271380144876.jpg

_1271380154050.jpg

It is a very soft felo.t, has a 4" brim and a tall creased crown. The hat has original ivory colored grosgrain ribbon band.

Under leather band is a very fragile paper label that shows John B. Stetson. If other information was on label, it is illegible. The leather sweatband has three imprints that are still quite legible. They are: John B. Stetson, Trade-Mark, Philadelphia, No. 1 Quality, John B. Stetson Company.

Dave Jones, Cody, Wyoming / Buy it of Dave Jones.

Inside written in ink is "Oct - 1913, Gift by Chas. Gates

Tape has been put where creases are on crown. Probably trying to prevent holes.

I found it at a yard sale in Billings, MT. The seller said a friend gave him the hat several years ago. The friend told the seller that the hat was given to Larry Larry by Charles Gates. I copied information from Internet about these two men. Very interesting about two Easteners who loved Wyoming. Charles Gates was on a hunting trip to Cody, WY in 1913 when he died in his private railway car. Larry Larom was owner of a ranch on the South Ford of the Shoshone River. He also had one of the first Dude Ranches and was first president of the Dude Ranchers Association.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
I just snagged this one. I'm very curious as to whether the date indicated is correct.

_1271380137754.jpg

I was thinking that the vertical sweatband logo preceded this one, but maybe Stetson used both of them during the same timer period.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4525412157_3c573ce7f4_o.jpg[/IMGQuite an assortment of creases.[/QUOTE]

possibly the best pun ever posted here. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap lol

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Pics of Edward S. Curtis and his Stetson

Last night I was watching a documentary on Edward S. Curtis' life, and found that John B. Stetson was one of the subscribers to his 20-volume "North American Indians" work. Curtis is seen in several other pictures wearing hats similar to the one below, and I think odds are that it's a Stetson.

curtis.jpg
EdwardCurtis.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
Yes, we've seen this before.

Identified as a Stetson? I would like to see that - please provide a link.

The first pic was what got me interested in Curtis' photography, which led me to order the video, which showed a subscription form signed "John B Stetson".

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Dinerman said:

_1271380122824.jpg

_1271380129663.jpg

_1271380144876.jpg

I did some research into this hat. The story checks out as to who gave it- not so much on who it was given to.

About Charles Gates:

Page 1, New York Times October 29, 1913

C. G. Gates Dies Suddenly in Car

Stricken with Apoplexy at Cody After a Hunting Trip in Wyoming

“Speed is Life,” He Said

Had Crowded his Thirty Seven Years with Many Exciting Experiences

Tips $1,000,000 a year
That was one of his boasts- his mania for special trains- to be buried in Woodlawn

Special to the New York Times

Cody, Wyo., October 28-

Charles G. Gates, son of the late John W. Gates, died here this afternoon at 1:40 of apoplexy. His death occurred in his private car Superb, which was lain on the side track at Cody station ever since his arrival some weeks ago. Mr. Gates and a party of six, including his two pricate physicians, came to Cody about five weeks ago for the purpose of hunting elk, deer, and bear, in the big game country adjacent to this place.

It is understood that one of his principal reasons for making this trip was the state of his health, which he hoped would be improved by a hunt in the pure air of the Wyoming mountains. The party fitted out at this point and spent five weeks in the hills. They returned to Cody last Thursday after a very successful hunt. Elk heads, bear hides and other trophies of Mr. Gates’s skill with the rifle are now being prepared for shipment east.

Mr. Gates appeared to be greatly benefited by his outing and was so well pleased with the country and his trip in general that he remained in Cody for several days, looking after his trophies and enjoying himself generally. His generous nature and jovial disposition made him a favorite with Cody’s town people, with whom he associated as though they were all old friends.
On his return from his hunting trip Mr. Gates spent more than $7000 buying fur coats for friends. He gave his chauffer $1000 and presented to his guide on the trip $10,000 in cash.

A few hours before his death Mr. Gates said he had just made a big turn on the Chicago Board of Trade, and that he expected to spend $70,000 before leaving Cody.

Yesterday he became ill, and, although no serious consequences were anticipated, he was immediately taken to his car and received treatment from his physicians, Drs. Williamson and Mothersell, who remained with him constantly until his death. This morning, at about 10 o’clock, his condition became worse, and Dr. Bennett, a local physician, was called in consultation. The trio of doctors rendered every possible service, but without avail.

It was indended to attach his private car to the noon train for Billings, but his condition at that time was such that it was not considered advisable to move him.

The people of Cody had grown attached to Mr. Gates, and the entire community was shocked beyond measure when the news came that he was dead. A message was immediately sent to his mother in New York, and the disposition of his body was directed by her.
A special engine was engaged and through service arrangements were made for New York. It is understood that as soon as the embalming process has been completed the Superb, bearing the body of its late owner, will be started East.
A Plunger in Wall Street.

Charles G. Gates, dead at 37, lived up to his motto, “Speed is Life.” Following in the foodsteps of his father, John W. Gates, in the lavish distribution of tips, gaming for high stakes, and plunging in the stock market, he had made himself conspicuous also in the last few years for his record breaking dashes across the continent in special trains. It was on one of these occasions that a friend asked him why he spent thousands of dollars to get to New York a few minutes sooner, and he replied “Speed is life.”
It was not until he came to New York ten or twelve years ago that he began to loom up in the news columns. As a youth he had been in the steel and wire business with his fater, and later had entered a Chicago brokerage firm, where he learned the details of the business. Then he came East and bought a seat on the Stock Exchange

Did a Huge Wall Street Business

The heavy operations of John W. Gates were transferred to Charles. B. Gates & Co., in which the father was a member, and in the boom times that preceded the panic of 1907 it did a tremendous business. It was nothing unusual for the firm to carry at times more than $100,000,000 worth of stock for its 2,500 customers and John W. Gates said that for three years it did about 8 per cent of all the business transacted on the Stock Exchange.

In May, 1907, the firm went out of business, and the two Gateses, who were constant companions, left of Europe. The house had been bullish at the top of the market in 1906 and was supposed to be greatly extended. Wall Street figured it dissolved with a loss of $6,000,000 but John W. Gates sturdily maintained that he and his son were quitting at a profit. However, the older Gates suddenly returned at the height of the October panic, and in common with other holders, sold his Tennessee Coal and Iron stock to the Steel Corporation.

Little was heard of Charles G. Gates for two years or more, but in July, 1910, he returned from Paris, where he had fallen ill, and was operated on here for appendicitis, from which he soon recovered.

The next Fall he figured in a story that he had lost $40,000 in a gambling house of this city, and, although he poop-poohed the story, it was generally credited. He had long been a familiar feature on the race tracks and at gambling resorts, and on one occasion was said to have won $20,000 at a sitting in Reno.

Charles Gates in NYC
3682650360_7dd5d464ba_o.jpg

On the hunting trip
C--Users-SpencerStewart-AppData-Loc.jpg

His Hunting Party
4465066630_9bfdcb34d3_o.jpg

Shaking hands with Buffalo Bill Cody
McCrackenCollection-ItemViewer_1-8.jpg

His Funeral
4408875836_7e52ea3081_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads