Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

Honez

New in Town
I'd like to thank you guys again for the good feedback on my Stetson Boss. I've now got my eyes peeled for old hats whenever I go shopping, and I've found a few more that I look forward to sporting once the weather cools off and my good outerwear comes out. (Fall is easily my favorite season for menswear, especially here in Minnesota where style too often ends up getting sacrificed for comfort during our extreme winters and summers.)

That said, fall semester starts soon and I'm going to need money more than I need a handsome western hat, so I'm going to have to part ways with The Boss." I see that a very similar (but slightly older) hat just sold on eBay for around $300, but it was a slightly smaller size and had a sweatband that was separating. It's always hard to gauge what actual values are when you have to balance age, condition, features, and the wild card nature of online auctions. So, as experienced buyers and sellers of old hats, do you have any advice on figuring out a value? August is a bad month for auctions, and I'm a bit shy on letting the eBay market do its thing. Thanks again for your help.

PS: The first person to say "Its worthless, but I'll take it off your hands for free" gets a big wet kiss. ;)

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
vy9u7y4e.jpg

uqa9agyb.jpg

4emy3u9u.jpg

ze4uqeqe.jpg

pyqanyru.jpg

e5yhedam.jpg

ejasy4ar.jpg

azazaza8.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
1X Nutria Boy Scout/Ranger

Only the 3rd Stetson with this 1X Nutria marking that I've seen. It came with a first class scout hat pin from the Boy Scouts of America. Also has a bootlace chin strap added. Very possible that it's an early scout hat. Brim is thick and stiff and almost straight as a board. Sweatband is still soft and supple. Crown is thick and pliable and seems to have a Montana peak crease memory. Ribbon is 7/8" with a very tidy, flat bow. Crown is 5". Brim is 1/16" shy of 3". Hamilton Brothers have been in Houston, Texas since the late 1800's and still operate a shirt business. Looks like Lot number 4413 on the sweat.

B

stetson_1x_1.jpg

stetson_1x_2.jpg

stetson_1x_3.jpg

stetson_1x_4.jpg

stetson_1x_5.jpg

stetson_1x_6.jpg

stetson_1x_7.jpg

stetson_1x_10.jpg

story_of_baden_powell_hat_1926_part1.JPG

story_of_baden_powell_hat_1926_part2.JPG

Great find, B... thanks for sharing the photos. Seems this one would hit the timeline around 1930 or perhaps a little earlier. How is the hand of the felt - soft?

Stetson Real Nutria feather weight c.1930

An interesting lightweight western hat from the early years of the depression - from the dimensions it could pass as an ancestor of the Stratoliner which was to follow a decade later. The nutria felt is somewhat denser and more complex than the first generation Strat, but very light - the hat weighs 2.8 ounces. 2 3/4" brim, 5 1/2" open crown, 1 1/8" ribbon. The two inch wide sweatband is paper thin yet still flexible and showing very little evidence of wear. The hat has hosted moths, but the damage is mostly shallow and on the underside of the brim. I believe this one will clean up and shape nicely. It's a very pleasant wear.

feathernutria1.jpg

feathernutria2.jpg

feathernutria3.jpg

feathernutria4.jpg

feathernutria5.jpg

feathernutria6.jpg

feathernutria7.jpg

feathernutria8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member