Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Precious...

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
i would never really consider myself to be a vintage snob, since i wear some vintage, lots of vintage inspired and a very small amount of repro and even can be seen wearing *gasp*:eeek: cut off jean shorts or lounge pants and a tank top on lazy days at home, but this morning as i was getting ready for work i saw a segment on my local news about "pin up fashion" they showed a whole segment on how to get the pin up look, while the hair was beautifully done, as well as the make up all of the clothes were completely repro and had absolutely no personality to them. it was the first time that i have really seen them in that light and realized how costumey repro looks, while there are some pieces that can be worn with vintage or vintage inspired to create a great look, dressing head to toe repro in my opinion just looks like a halloween costume. i would rather spend my money on true vintage.;)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Like others have said, if I knew anyone who is vintage anything I'd have someone to relate to. I cannot afford much good repro or even good vintage. I wear mainly used clothes that fit me, and things that I sew.

I do think it is different if you do re-enactment. I used to do re-enactment in 1776 style. The place I volunteered for used to inspect your clothing to ensure it was hand-sewn (not machine); I thought this was a bit much. No normal person attending the events we put on ever got that close to any of us to inspect our seams; it made the bar really high for participation and turned a lot of people away. I think that people should help each other though, rather than just being negative. Somebody might not know, but wants to learn.

As far as mixing eras, my grandmother had the same haircut and styling since 1942. So I guess somebody ought to tell her that she was doing it wrong for the last 52 years of her life.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I am a pretty mixed (old) bag. Although my era is pretty much WW2, I do have bits and bobs from most eras and my day to day wardrobe is a bit of modern, a bit of repro or homemade, some original.... whatever makes me happy. I think the only way you can really get it 'wrong' is if you don't look comfortable in what you are wearing, and that only really tends to happen when people are trying too hard!

The only times I can be a little picky is at re-enactment events. I do try to be as accurate as possible and I do get a bit irked if others are in something from Topshop or a nylon mother-of-the-bride hat. But, even then, they tend to be open events I go to so if someone doesn't want to spend the time and effort for what is to them just a nice day out, then who an I to complain?

Sheeplady, my husband, who does Roman re-enactment as well as WW2 RAF goes on the '10ft rule', i.e. what you wear should look period accurate to the general public from 10ft away. This means that although he does handmake a lot of his stuff, (including caligae, shields and all his own armour), his Roman wool tunics are machine sewn and not hand loomed!

LollyWillowes

New in Town
People who ruin old clothes, chopping them up and this obsession with everything being mini length, even with horrendous legs...and mine would frighten the horses, so I've never, ever gone there!
I mean proper vintage/antique garments, even trashing old/valuable furniture and with absolutely no interest in history etc, it's just the latest trend to leap on.
Now that makes me snarl.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I would love to have actual vintage clothes but I would be terrified to wear it as I am a bit clumsy! It feels like a big responsibility. I feel like that about my old books as some of them are over 100 years old and obviously were loved by their previous owners.

Plus as I am on a diet I don't want to buy clothes in the size I am now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner