Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Precious...

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Ok, so I do have one...

...dressing like a lady and not acting like it.

I recently saw an adorable 50s girl lift her hem to show a man her crinoline. Tacky.

Antje

One Too Many
actualy I don't mind how everyone does their vintage look, but for myself I want the best.
And in our salon just comes one girl who is totally missing the point, she want's like a marilyn monroe kind of wavy hairdo, whitout a set or pincurls, she only backcombs her hair a little ( i myself always set my hair) and then she dears to say we look so alike because whe love the same style.
I don't get that, we defenetly don't look the same, i think i look much more vintage than she does, but maybe I'm wrong.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Kitty, I am laughing as I agree with you on so many points. I was at an event and a girl was wearing one of those stop staring dresses, smoking a cigarette, and the question was raised in my head "Is she pregnant and smoking??!!", I concluded that she was in desperate need of foundation garments.

some other pet peeves are repros not done correctly...
I was recently at a shop that had some GREAT looking repro stuff including some stop starring wear. Nothing bothers me more than a 40s clothes trousers, skirts and dresses, with back zips. How hard would it be to but the zipper on the side, where it belongs!!!

...and girls at WW2 events who are always dressed in their "Sunday best" veiled hats, white gloves and all (And if anyone has been to Reading WW2 weekend, it's ususally hoofing through the mudlol ). Where is the everyday wear? skirts and blouses? trousers?

Ok I feel better now.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
KittyT, all of my friends think I am INSANE for wearing a slip! They literally went "aww, that's so cute" and attributed it to my supposed old-fashionedness when I said I couldn't wear a certain dress because I forgot my slip at home.

I seriously thought EVERYONE wore slips! I know I wore them before I ever got into vintage. I couldn't imagine NOT wearing a slip!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
AllaboutEve said:
I think it's really important to remember that not everyone has the means, the time or maybe even the looks to pull off the whole historically accurate ensemble.

I wholeheartedly agree with every single word you've said!

Liz

I'm going with AllAboutEve on this one too. (Great post by the way!) I would applaud anyone who at least has enough of a sincere interest to make an effort at vintage style. Are there particular things I would never wear? Well yes, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone else's right to wear them. If I were ever to achieve Joan Crawford-esque heights of classic movie star glamour, maybe then I would thumb my nose at girls who think Gwen Stefani is a vintage style icon. Since I highly, highly doubt that that will ever happen, I will continue to believe that everyone should go with their own personal style, even if it may not be "authentic" vintage.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Liz said:
I'm going with AllAboutEve on this one too. (Great post by the way!) I would applaud anyone who at least has enough of a sincere interest to make an effort at vintage style. Are there particular things I would never wear? Well yes, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone else's right to wear them. If I were ever to achieve Joan Crawford-esque heights of classic movie star glamour, maybe then I would thumb my nose at girls who think Gwen Stefani is a vintage style icon. Since I highly, highly doubt that that will ever happen, I will continue to believe that everyone should go with their own personal style, even if it may not be "authentic" vintage.

I don't think anyone here is really criticizing folks for wearing repros or for mixing and matching periods. Most of us do it - it just doesn't really take that much money, time or effort to do it well.

Snookie

Practically Family
KittyT said:
1. Not wearing a slip. I don't care how awesome your vintage outfit is - if I can see the pattern on your underwear, your panty line, or if your skirt is riding up because of static with your nylons, I am going to look down my nose at you.

I don't wear a slip. I've tried, but my dresses slide around too much on top (yes, I know that's the point!), and it makes dancing difficult. I'm very careful about VPL, though. At least I think I am. :) I also don't wear stockings, because 1) I think I'd trash them way too fast and 2) If my skirt flies up, I don't want to show a garter. I know that used to happen, but I feel that in today's world it's too prevocative. I'd rather go without.

Snookie

Practically Family
Paisley said:
Because it was fun.

But I'm so over people showing up to dances looking like they're going to the gym. Untucked sweaty ragged t-shirts that get swapped out throughout the night, the wearer can't even be bothered to go the restroom to change, they just change on the edge of the room. Thrashed sneakers and gym bags cluttering up the floor.

And those same people being the loudest about dancing "authentic". Clothing has an effect on how you move, don'cha know?

And I realize I approached the hobby from a different perspective than most people. But it will always boggle my mind that folks who are SO into dancing aren't interested and inspired more by the history.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think its also people who dress only of the parts of the era that are known by the masses.

I dress vintage about 90% of the time, and only about 40% of that people will comment on my era-esqueness. Only because I may be wearing something that reminds them of that era.

I can have on a basic 30s day dress with no real bells and whistles and still be of the period, but wont draw a second look, and thats fine by me.

LD

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Ladies, keep in mind that not all of us wants to look authentic! It might be like swearing in the church to say this, but I myself only want to look totally authentic when I am reenacting/participating a LARP.

All the other time, I wear vintage in different stages of "authentic", right up to "almost completely" for special occasions. But most of the time I just wear vintage inspired, or mix and match my vintage with modern.

And why don't I want to look authentic? This is only my personal opinion, but I myself would feel phony and strange if I wore authentic vintage in my everyday life. I don't live in the 40s, I don't want to live in the 40s, so it feels wrong to look like I time-traveled and crash-landed in our modern world. I feel at home right now, (although I day-dream of the life as a 30s rich lady,) and it feels natural to dress for "now", not the past.

I don't know why I feel like this, but I think it has something to do with a)my hobbies and b)my profesion.

My hobby, LARP, is a little like reenacting when it comes to creating an illusion. I spend so much time living in a "pretend"world, (and I really try to be as authentic as possible then,) that I get my fill, I think. I want my real life to be real, no illusions, smoke or mirrors there!

My profession as an interior architect, (or soon-to-be-profession, I'm completing my masters in April,) has made me reflect a lot about authenticity in architecture. I think the best is to save the really great, historical buildings but to build new and modern today. "Repro buildings" tend to ruin the authenticity of real historical buildings, and I think it's more honest to build in the style of your time, not the style of your past. (And if we don't build modern now, there want be any adorable, old-fashioned buildings from our period for the people in 2200 to love!) Well, enough rambling. To conclude, I think that my standing on architecture is effecting my feelings about vintage clothing to.

I will stop preaching now, bu while I'm still here swearing in the church I might just add that I am often the bulky girl without foundation garments, I just think my little tummy is natural and not that bad, actually. And showing my petticoat to a man? I can't swear I wouldn't do that, if I was really proud of it! (Assuming it wasn't see-through that is. I might not have much class, but the little I have I like to keep!):p

And by the way, my thoughts about the "authentic vintage looks phony"thing: This is only my personal feelings, regarding me and me only. I honestly don't think any wrong of people going all the way in their daily looks, it's just different than me but not wrong. And I'm not only saying that to avoid being stoned!:p

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
But I'm so over people showing up to dances looking like they're going to the gym. Untucked sweaty ragged t-shirts that get swapped out throughout the night, the wearer can't even be bothered to go the restroom to change, they just change on the edge of the room. Thrashed sneakers and gym bags cluttering up the floor.

And those same people being the loudest about dancing "authentic". Clothing has an effect on how you move, don'cha know?

And I realize I approached the hobby from a different perspective than most people. But it will always boggle my mind that folks who are SO into dancing aren't interested and inspired more by the history.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Big TShirts, Track pants and my favorite -- the dance sneaker:mad:

I am guilty of showing a little stocking top/garter while dancing though. Although I usually wear an A line rather than cirlcle skirt so it does limit the amount of exposure. :eek:

Smuterella

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
After reading this entire thread I don't think will ever leave the house again.

oh, now I feel bad for starting it. it was intended more for us to laugh at our little bits of "preciousness" than to make anyone feel bad.

from your pics I think you look fabulous - don't worry sweetie.

:eek:

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I work for a big company. There is one other girl who is into retro style. She is much more rocakabilly and does the repros and vintage inspired looks. I really love seeing her though. It's like having a comrade even though our styles are different.

ShortClara

One Too Many
One thing that sticks out to me on this thread is the number of ladies who said they are their own worst critics. To that, I would say give your lovely selves a break! This is a hobby to most of us, and if it's not fun, and if you're so busy criticizing yourself about every little detail, than what's the point?

I understand; I want to feel pretty when I leave the house, and frankly sometimes my happy clothes are what gets me through the day at my soul sucking corporate job. But please have fun and enjoyment out of it, and don't lose the forest for the trees! Is it worth the brain cells to agonize over your 40s sweater with the 60s day dress? Spend your brain time on better things. My thoughts, for what they are worth~

Now, I'm going to go think about the dirty Edna St. Vincent Millay poetry I read on jezebel.com this morning.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Snookie said:

Now, most of this, I agree with--particularly that people shouldn't act like slobs.

I just put on clothes that look nice and I can move around in and call it good. After all, we don't expect waltzers to put on empire gowns or breeches, or tango enthusiasts to dress like prostitutes or cowboys who need a bath.;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My precious...

I used to be more of a vintage Nazi, but have developed tolerance over the years. I try not to make anyone feel bad about their fashion choices, but if they ask for an opinion, I will give it. Firmly and gently...
But, if I am at an event, where the point is to be dressed in a certain era, my pet peeves include girls who don't even try to wear an appropriate hairstyle, the ones who won't wear lipstick, the bad 90s platform shoes with 30s clothes, the lack of proper foundations and slips on the gals who need them (you lithe young things can get away with it), hot pink wolly ankle socks with a beaded 20s gown (yes, it has been done) and I can go on and on... but you get the idea.
In real life, I wear a mish mash of old and new and repro all the time, but if I am going to a vintage theme event, I try to be not only year-specific, but season specific. For instance, we are all about to go to Yosemite for an annual event, and there's a tea dance - some girls wear floaty chiffon and organdy dresses for it, like a garden party look. I think that looks silly when there is snow on the ground!
But I wouldn't go up to them and complain, that just isn't nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24