Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pretty interesting video

Tiller

Practically Family

I've got to laugh at the ladies freaking out about the prospect of eating Rabbit, and then giving away a good food source! There are worst things in this world to eat then Rabbit meat when your starving. I was raised to be an outdoors man though, I hunt, fish, and trap. Plus I've worked at a butcher shop before, so "the messy" parts of being a carnivore don't effect me very much.

I wonder if later on in the series when they are down to little more then their garden veggies if they are wishing they had some rabbit to eat. lol

C Gregory Purbaugh

New in Town
I have to admit, when I was young I had to help butcher a cow. I was a little emotional at first, but it was a tasty cow!

I've never butchered a rabbit, but I've ate one, it was delicious. Little tough though... tasted like and had a similar consistency as chicken (sorry, cliche!) except for the toughness.

Also, when I was watching that they made me a bit angry...If I was the husband, I would not have let them get rid of them...

rue

I always wonder what they think it's going to be like before they agree to do this. Anyone that knows anything about that time would have known that they would be raising animals for food. I personally wouldn't have wanted to kill one of the bunnies, but I would if I had to. It's about survival. I agree the husband should have put his foot down.

Even more shocking to me was the fact that neither woman had ever baked a cake from scratch and the children had never eaten anything but prepackaged food. Really??

Tiller

Practically Family
I've never butchered a rabbit, but I've ate one, it was delicious. Little tough though... tasted like and had a similar consistency as chicken (sorry, cliche!) except for the toughness.

I must admit that I have never had a tame rabbit before. Everyone I've ever had has been the result of a hunting expedition, usually one my father has gone on since he like rabbit more then I do. Wild rabbit can of course taste a bit gamy, but if cooked right you don't even notice it. My Aunt has a recipe that makes rabbit taste not only good, but exceptional. On the other hand if you just fry it with butter an onions in a pan, the gamy tasting seems to come right out.

Also, when I was watching that they made me a bit angry...If I was the husband, I would not have let them get rid of them...

Being that it is a tv show I can understand why the women freaked, being from a city and seeing them as pets and all. The fact is though if they were actually in the 40's in Britain at the time I highly doubt they would have been so wasteful, especially with two growing boys to feed. It's one thing to be so wasteful when their is plenty of food to go around, it's a completely other thing during a time of crisis. I know if I had children to feed, and knew that food would be in short supply do to a crisis the last thing I would be doing is feeling sorry for Thumper.

I know that many people don't have the same background that I do, still I think many people would be surprised what they would do in order to make sure that they, and their family survived.

Even more shocking to me was the fact that neither woman had ever baked a cake from scratch and the children had never eaten anything but prepackaged food. Really??

I know! I was raised on food that was mostly from scratch, even when it was simply a stew cooked in a crackpot, or homemade spaghetti sauce cooking slowly all day in the stove. Now I'm not saying that we never had prepackaged food, we did, but we also ate home made food all the time. Almost every weekend my mother made homemade bread or rolls, that lasted us most of the week, even after she started working full time again. Usually once a month Mom or Dad made a home made pie to eat. Mom's crust was always better though :p.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner