Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Probably an embarrassing question about jacket weight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These too, but even assuming the same tanning, the same thickness, and even the same animal, there will be a degree of variation. The only way to avoid that is pleather.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
with non pressed leather the actual thickness throughout entire panel might vary, on one spot where the thickness was measured it was probably 1mm but perhaps on other spot it can be 0.8mm, pressed leather usually have more uniform thickness when the press is set at 0.9mm that's why the initial panel that going to be pressed must be thicker than 0.9mm probably 1.2mm then entire sheet would be forced to come out as 0.9mm forming a much denser, firmer and initially less grainy surface (but overtime the grain if the leather is full grain is going to form again with wear)

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
firmer leather can be caused by pressing the leather, so the thinner leather can be initially a thicker leather but processed through a pressing rolls to come out as 0.9mm while the other slightly thicker one but softer can be an non pressed leather that appear thicker but the inner structure is coarser/ looser fibers
FWIW, the maker said that they "skive" (exact word) the leather down. In this case they had to go from 1,4 mm to 0,9 mm through "skiving". And then for the 2nd jacket the same 1,4 mm leather was supposedly skived down to 1,0 mm.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Even so, it’s an organic material.

The same source, tanning, even skiving to the same thickness are still not going to result in something absolutely identical.

It’s not even the case for textiles, which is why if you’re having a suit made and want an extra pair of trousers, you should have both made at once because another batch of the same wool could show differences.

I have never suggested this before but you may be a unique case of someone who would be happier with pleather, as it will give you the consistency you’re after.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Also, 200 grams isn’t very much. What ratio of the total weight of the jackets is that?
I don't think I've completely answered your question beforehand, where I said:

First jacket (stiffer, smaller): 2,10 kg
Second jacket (softer, larger, supposedly thicker): 1,90 kg

So maybe the following information is also what you wanted to know. Simply put, this is by how much larger the 2nd jacket is:

Chest circumference: 12 cm
Hem circumference: 12 cm
Sleeve opening circumference: 10 cm
Cuff circumference: 4 cm
Sleeve length: 1 cm

In those five areas, it is by that amount of total centimeters larger.

I'm not sure if this helps answer your earlier question fully, but regardless, I would agree with Peacoat. Unless someone else has something significant to add to the subject, there's probably nothing more to discuss.

Thank you to everyone who helped out. :)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I've completely answered your question beforehand, where I said:

First jacket (stiffer, smaller): 2,10 kg
Second jacket (softer, larger, supposedly thicker): 1,90 kg

So maybe the following information is also what you wanted to know. Simply put, this is by how much larger the 2nd jacket is:

Chest circumference: 12 cm
Hem circumference: 12 cm
Sleeve opening circumference: 10 cm
Cuff circumference: 4 cm
Sleeve length: 1 cm

In those five areas, it is by that amount of total centimeters larger.

I'm not sure if this helps answer your earlier question fully, but regardless, I would agree with Peacoat. Unless someone else has something significant to add to the subject, there's probably nothing more to discuss.

Thank you to everyone who helped out. :)

Have you thought about the possibility that you are so focused on the trees you can't see the forest?

Would you enjoy the larger jacket more if it was 50gr heavier than smaller one?

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Have you thought about the possibility that you are so focused on the trees you can't see the forest?

Would you enjoy the larger jacket more if it was 50gr heavier than smaller one?
Not even once did I state that I like the lighter jacket less than the heavier one because of it's lighter weight. I explicitly stated that I was merely confused about the weight difference, but that I prefer the touch, feel, and everything else about the lighter one. The answer to your question is "no", of course.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Another thing I can think of is that if they use the whole hide, different parts of the animal have denser skin, fiber structure, etc., such as the butt area, and some are looser such as belly area. Could also explain why one jacket has much different properties, one with softer temper (maybe from stomach portion?), despite being the same leather.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Even so, it’s an organic material.
Yes, I already knew this. I just didn't make the relevant connections in regards to the weight, all the things that have been mentioned by now. Amateurish, embarrassing, maybe even downright stupid from my side, but it is what it is.

The same source, tanning, even skiving to the same thickness are still not going to result in something absolutely identical.
This is precisely what I did not know, and learned in this thread. Thanks to you and others.

It’s not even the case for textiles, which is why if you’re having a suit made and want an extra pair of trousers, you should have both made at once because another batch of the same wool could show differences.
And this, too, is something I just learned.

I have never suggested this before but you may be a unique case of someone who would be happier with pleather, as it will give you the consistency you’re after.
If you mean fake leather or something similar... hell no.

I also never wanted consistency in the first place. It was a matter of trying to understand the weight difference and various possible factors involved. You, and others, have helped me understand. Much appreciated.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Another thing I can think of is that if they use the whole hide, different parts of the animal have denser skin, fiber structure, etc., such as the butt area, and some are looser such as belly area. Could also explain why one jacket has much different properties, one with softer temper (maybe from stomach portion?), despite being the same leather.
Very interesting too. Thx.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Let's not get this started up again. I spent hundreds of hours on this the last time around. I don't need to repeat that.
I am 100% with you here! I'm aware of what you and other mods had to go through last time, not only in the infamous thread, but also other threads which kept referring to it. And I'm sorry about that.

Now, this particular thread right here has been totally harmless, with zero ill intent on my part, nor does it contain anything (as far as I know) that disrespects the rules, or perhaps even more importantly, goes against the community's interests, as this was the issue in the past.

It was simply a "I'm confused and would like to learn" type of thread, no more, no less.

I think Zangy's question has been fully answered, and that this thread has run its course.
And with this, too, I wholeheartedly agree.

Unfortunately, even though I am very thankful for the answers provided and helping me understand what I wanted, this will definitively be my final public post on this forum. The reason is simply because some people cannot seem to let go of the past, whereas others seem to be affected by peer pressure and therefore post in a particular way, to try to prove their "distance" from me to other fellow forum members who still have some sort of grudge.

I'm fully aware that nothing of value will be lost by me not posting here, but I find it unfortunate that after so much time has gone by, the past had to be sprinkled in various ways in a totally harmless, non-related new thread. So that's why I'm out.

Of course this will be your (or another mod's) decision, but perhaps the best thing would be for this thread to be closed.

Many thanks to everyone who helped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112