Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Professional hats

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Where I live, it's considered part of the uniform. It depends on whether you work for DCNR, Fish & Boat, or Game Commission. They are all out of the Stratton Hats catalog. Which department, determines whether it's a Montana Peak, or a "Sheriff" style.

Though sometimes they will issue a ball cap to go with a casual/ class-B uniform.

Which reminds me. There are a lot of hat people here. I remember being referred to a psychological study regarding hats. I'd like to find a copy, to cite, and to see how old it was.

I recall, the results were that, the Montana Peak, and the 8-point service caps, were considered to have the most "authority." And be most recognizable, as being a sign of a law enforcement officer. I remember the ball cap had less "authority" than being hat less. The Montana Peak, actually being functional, as it will keep the sun off of you, as opposed to the 8-point.

A lot of the police departments have ditched the hat, unless you are in a ceremony of some type, or directing traffic. I think that has a lot to do with the head room and bucket seats, in modern vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn