Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Professional hats

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
We have a new Conservation Law Enforcement Officer who asked me to recommend a hat to him today, but he has some ideas about what he wants and doesn't want. He doesn't want felt, due to the heat here, but isn't crazy about straw, either. He wants something akin to a boonie hat, but that still looks professional when he is in uniform. His uniform is the fairly standard khaki military shirt, with two flapped pockets and epaulets, with brown cargo pnats like all the Sheriff's deputies are wearing these days. He is in a field position, and will spend most of his time out in open desert.

I know, I know! A straw Montana peaked Stratton is just what the situation calls for, but he is wearing the hat, not me, so I told him I'd see what I could come up with. The only thing I can really think of is something like the canvas drover hats, though the quality in those is typically not too high,or perhaps the Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hat, though waxed canvas is probably as hot as felt in the summer heat of the Mojave. I realize he has eliminated most of the obvious choices, but any suggestions?

Corky

Practically Family
If one is going to wander out into the desert in search of adventure...

If one is going to wander out into the desert in search of adventure, the choice is simple:

king.jpg

Also available in khaki.

318z2tzfVAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Available from AMAZON.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I have a durable vented wide brimmed canvas hat with a zebra skin ribbon that I sometimes wear in rustic settings such as you describe.

The hat was made in the USA by BACKTRAILS. It was a gift and I don't even know if they're still available. It has a ribbon type sweatband and has served me well for at least 20 years under all sorts of extreme conditions.

MCrider

A-List Customer
That hat from Cabela's was also what I was thinking of when I read the post. Wide brim and snaps on either side if he wants to pulled the brim in closer if going through the brush. Or just snap up the one side if he wants that jaunty Aussie Digger look. Even though I know they work great, I've never been a big fan of the Tilley. Reminds me too much of a sun hat for garden work... not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I have a Filson waxed cotton Packer hat, a narrower brimmed version of the bush hat. Definitely too hot for desert wear.

awest84532

Familiar Face
So, the agency he works for does not have a list of approved hats? When in uniform, the majority of governmental agencies have a list from which you may choose, often a choice of 'one'.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Filson Tin Cloth

Inusuit said:
I have a Filson waxed cotton Packer hat, a narrower brimmed version of the bush hat. Definitely too hot for desert wear.

I'm with INUSUIT. I have the tin cloth version. It's bullet proof (well, not real bullets) and water proof but it's too hot for any elevated temperature. I use my old DI hat or the old BSA Scout Master when it's too hot for the Filson but both are still pretty hot. Still, from the photos from the old days, those are what people used even in the Canal Zone. Mojave, what about the hat you made from the Stratton a while back?

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
If he is looking for canvas like hats, I second the Tilley's. I would post some suggestions, but the Tilley site does not allow hot-linking. Look at the "The LTM6C Tilley Airflo® Hat with tuckaway neck protector". It is very functional, although not what I would consider "professional". However, if he is looking for style he needs to reconsider a light felt hat.

shortbow

Practically Family
I third or fourth or whatever the Tilley. I have one which I don't wear often because I only find leather sweats really comfortable, but when it's really hot, and I'm out in the canoe it's great. One can dunk it in the water and put it on again for great relief. A big favourite with the Canadian military in the Levant and similar environs.

carldelo

One Too Many
Joe Fedora

I love my Joe Fedora, a very cool polypro hat, nearly indestructible. On vacation earlier this month, a couple of times people saw me wearing it with a green jacket and assumed I was Park Service Police:

SFJoeFedora[1]400.jpg

Photo from noggintops website - the brim will snap down in the front as well.

Akubra

Familiar Face
Tell him to get a Stetson Pannama.

I have one and it stopped me from dying in the desert many a time!!

The thing is light as a feather and it is very cool.

I put the "official" hat band on from the stratton hat the agency I work for issues and it looks great.

BY THE WAY............. IMHO Stratton hats are crap! That is what my agency issues and they suck. The size is not even consistant from one hat to the next and the quality is worse than anything I have seen come out of China!! The "western hat" they make looks like something Howdy Doody would wear!!

The only thing that they make that is OK is the dress hat (the smokey bear DI hat in straw and felt)

Here is a link to pictures of my 2 work hats (both are Stetson)

http://webmail.myfairpoint.net/hweb...GTA&emid=sharshar&linkid=link5&cid=EMsharshar

elvisroe

A-List Customer
oilskin

I'm a fan of these oilskin type of hats. They're light comfy, waterproof and will take a beating. A good choice for hiking etc.

My only gripe is that they are generally sold as S,M,L and XL and getting the size right can be a pain!

650328_458Lrg.JPG

I personally prefer ones like these with a slightly higher crown and shorter brim. A tad more fedora-ish than the low crown, wide brim versions you see around.

This one would go with his uniform I imagine.
outbackoilskinmadishat.jpg

I'm leaning toward an "Aussie Cotton Safari" for my next trip to West Papua.
HAT_Y1085.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnycanuck said:
Sorry, but Tilleys aren't that cool if you wear them right-
with a bag over your head... :p

johnnycanuck said:
If not you can custom order http://www.biltmorehats.com/catalogueuniform.htm they provide the hats for the RCMP and the highway cops (montana peak). Avalable in straw(or something like it) and felt. Just contact a dealer.
Johnny
Now that's more like it. I like the pith helmet idea, too.
Maybe once he understands he's supposed to soak it first...

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
We have a new Conservation Law Enforcement Officer who asked me to recommend a hat to him today, but he has some ideas about what he wants and doesn't want. He doesn't want felt, due to the heat here, but isn't crazy about straw, either.<<>>

Jack, not to suggest getting argumentative if he's sure :deadhorse but has he really tried a well-fitting felt hat out there? I was born and lived the first years of my life in your part of the world (by Owens Lake and later out by Trona) and didn't wear a hat at that age, but have hung around there later on in the summer.

Wonder if it's like folks that are absolutely sure (sans experience) that they don't want a road bike with its skinny saddle and dropped bars, and then get tired and sore riding on fat seats and upright bars.

But if he's resolutely set against felt, I'm not sure straws will be any improvement unless they are extremely well ventilated. From a purely functional perspective, I'd suggest a canvas or perhaps nylantium airflow Tilley. The latter is very cool, but the former soaks nicely.

- Bill

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
All good suggestions fellas, and I appreciate the input!

I, personally, would go for many of the hats here, but alas, he is not one of us...yet. He's gone with the old floppy boonie, but I will continue to work on him.

He has both a felt and a straw Montana peak, but says he doesn't really like them. Doesn't really like them?! Well, he's a pretty good guy, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now! lol

awest84532, there is no defined uniform for the CLEOs. One of our biologists manages the program, and he designed the patch and the uniform. Every CLEO in the Marine Corps is wearing a different one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass