Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality comparison among Resistol 4X, Stetson 4X, and Akubra Heritage Collection

Naphtali

Practically Family
Presently I own Borsalino, Dobbs, and Akubra "Heritage Collection" hats. All but Akubra are fedoras. Akubra is in the "fedora neighborhood" with slightly larger brim that is not snap brim capable.

Having been a Montana resident for more than 25 years and far from even moderately sized cities, finally I have the urge to fit the "image". I seek a Western-ish hat. Since Resistol 4X, Stetson 4X, and Akubra "Heritage Collection" have available hats that fit the bill, any would be acceptable. I have neither examined or test worn Resistol or Stetson hats while I own an Akubra, I ask for quality comparison of fur felt and assembly. From pricing I have viewed, 4X Resistol or Stetson is as expensive as I can justify.

The nearest hatter is HHHH Hats in Darby, more than 100 miles south. And Jimmy Harison sells only hats he makes - ultra pricy. I request experienced users of these hats to describe as best the can.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If those are your choices, pick an Akubra.

Modern Stetson and Resistol are, as far as I can tell, the same. They're coming out of the same factory with different branding. 4x, currently, is wool. Don't buy a wool hat. I was going to recommend a custom wool from Knudsen, but looks like that's not an option on their site anymore.

The older 80's 4x Stetsons are fur felt, and while they're not spectacular hats, that'd be a wiser choice than a modern 4x wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran