Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T. Jones Custom Hats, Repairs, and Conversions

It’s finally happened! Our good friend Terry @T Jones has started accepting work on other people’s hats! His block and flanges are limited, but this gives you the option of buying a block and sending it to him so you have your perfect size and your preferred shape. I sent him an affordable 3-D printed block and I have my own flanges so I have that covered.

Here’s my first T. Jones project: it started as a late 1970s to early 1980s Resistol Stagecoach. The hat was reblocked to 6 ½” open crown on a #52 block and the brim is 4” wide. Terry added rim binding, a new ribbon, and a new quality leather sweatband. The brim is fairly firm, but not at all harsh. The crown is softer than I’ve ever experienced with one of these hats. It is easily shaped, and a bit of steam gets it to hold. I can easily change the crease without leaving ghost lines from the previous crease. I’m genuinely shock at how much I like this felt that is probably like the 3X Beaver Resistols of the same era.

The build quality is great. The hand sewn binding has perfectly even stitching and the ends butt together without any overlap. The sweatband is seated perfectly in the crown and the supple leather is very comfortable. The brim break is sharp and the ribbon and bow work is flawless. I hate loose ribbon or obvious tacking stitches, and this hat has neither. A perfectly formed bow that’s just how I like them without the puffiness some have.

To be honest, I wasn’t sure I was going to like the hat, but it turned out better than I had dared to hope.

IMG_3423.jpeg
IMG_3424.jpeg
IMG_3422.jpeg
IMG_3425.jpeg
IMG_3429.jpeg
IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_3432.jpeg
IMG_3433.jpeg
IMG_3434.jpeg
IMG_3438.jpeg

FYI: This thread is started is with Terry’s permission.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It’s finally happened! Our good friend Terry @T Jones has started accepting work on other people’s hats! His block and flanges are limited, but this gives you the option of buying a block and sending it to him so you have your perfect size and your preferred shape. I sent him an affordable 3-D printed block and I have my own flanges so I have that covered.

Here’s my first T. Jones project: it started as a late 1970s to early 1980s Resistol Stagecoach. The hat was reblocked to 6 ½” open crown on a #52 block and the brim is 4” wide. Terry added rim binding, a new ribbon, and a new quality leather sweatband. The brim is fairly firm, but not at all harsh. The crown is softer than I’ve ever experienced with one of these hats. It is easily shaped, and a bit of steam gets it to hold. I can easily change the crease without leaving ghost lines from the previous crease. I’m genuinely shock at how much I like this felt that is probably like the 3X Beaver Resistols of the same era.

The build quality is great. The hand sewn binding has perfectly even stitching and the ends butt together without any overlap. The sweatband is seated perfectly in the crown and the supple leather is very comfortable. The brim break is sharp and the ribbon and bow work is flawless. I hate loose ribbon or obvious tacking stitches, and this hat has neither. A perfectly formed bow that’s just how I like them without the puffiness some have.

To be honest, I wasn’t sure I was going to like the hat, but it turned out better than I had dared to hope.

View attachment 543823 View attachment 543824 View attachment 543826 View attachment 543827 View attachment 543828 View attachment 543829 View attachment 543830 View attachment 543831 View attachment 543832 View attachment 543833

Thank you Brent! The hat looks really good on you. It was a fun project and you were great to work with.

I agree with you on these Stagecoaches. I've worked on a ton of them and I have to say that they're my favorite hats to work with. IMO, they're among the best and most classic Westerns ever made.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A heck of a start, so to speak. Good luck with the new venture, Terry.

View attachment 543823 View attachment 543824 View attachment 543826 View attachment 543827 View attachment 543828 View attachment 543829 View attachment 543830 View attachment 543831 View attachment 543832 View attachment 543833

Thank you Brent! The hat looks really good on you. It was a fun project and you were great to work with.

I agree with you on these Stagecoaches. I've worked on a ton of them and I have to say that they're my favorite hats to work with. IMO, they're among the best and most classic Westerns ever made.

Mighty44

One Too Many

Killer hat. @T Jones is a very talented guy—really happy to hear he has officially opened shop—wishing you the best with the hat business, Terry!

David

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations Terry!!
You are one of the good guys!!
Good guy’s do ‘ finish first’!!
Hope to see great things from you in the future!!
Might have a job or two for you in the future!
Thank you Rusty! I really appreciate that! I always enjoy talking with you. Hopefully we can do some work together in the future.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
TJCHRC - is open for business! Congrats!

Terry over the past years I have watched your shared projects with interest. I saw and was witness to your curiosity morphing into excellent craftsmanship of the conversions you have shared. Bringing that craftsmanship and passion will stead you well sir.

I wish you best in all your future efforts.

Eric -

Robert, thank you. Much appreciated buddy.
In my few short years doing hat restorations I have taken on some "interesting" projects. I take on all commissions, turning nothing away. From 30 year old Akubras so disgustingly dirty I would only handle it with gloves, a 1960's fedora bought when the owner was a long haired hippie, to last week's refurb of a 42 year old wool Scout's hat. Folks bring me their tired, old & even disgustingly filthy hats seeking a new life for, what to them, is a very old friend.

Usually it has great sentimental value as they resist my words advising them to throw it out and start anew and they want to give it more life. These hats hold great memories for the owner and thus are not ready to let them go. It is so very satisfying to me to be able to 'rescue' these hats and return them to at least a semblance of wearability. It is a fun and challenging journey. Welcome to it and I look forward to viewing some of the interesting commissions and challenges that will come up for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner