Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T. Jones Custom Hats, Repairs, and Conversions

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Another Frankenhat project. This one started out as a way too small 6 5/8 1930s Excellent Quality Stetson. I originally reblocked it on a 7 1/4 #52 LO block but then reblocked it again on my RA 7 1/4 block. It now sports a tall straight crown with a Center Dent and tight pinch with a raw edge 2 1/2 snap brim. I went with a 2 1/2 inch wide Burgundy ribbon and a Boxcar Bow. I scavanged the sweat and liner from a modern Stetson. The hat was originally a Western and someone punched holes in the brim for what a fellow Lounger guessed was for a stampede cord. I was also able to patch up both holes.

Excellent-Quality-1930s-1.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-2.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-3.jpg

Excellent-Quality-1930s-4.jpg

Hole patched. Barely visible are the stitch holes for the original sweat band. The hole I patched used to be on the brim. Reblocking from a 6 5/8 to a 7 1/4 really raised the crown height.
Excellent-Quality-1930s-5.jpg

Liner and sweat scavanged from two different modern Stetsons and reused on this hat.
Excellent-Quality-1930s-6.jpg
That looks fantastic Terry - great job!

I love that ribbon and bow and the block is very impressive indeed (as are all your blocks I’ve ever seen).

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The real beauty of a new custom is working with a hatter who listens to your ideas, is open to explore interesting concepts, and adds his or her own knowledge and know-how to make a dream become reality. Starting with a used, stock standard 50s 3X Stetson, Terry and I discussed everything from a flat brim to a heavily curled brim aka Matt Dillon. In the back of my mind, and for several years, I've been thinking about a tribute hat. When I offered the challenge, Terry was all-in and the result is amazing! Terry was able to use the embroider liner and was even able to save the size tag and reorder labels. This one is not just a keeper, but destined to be a family heirloom. Thank you, Terry.

20240212_181340.jpg 20240212_181352.jpg 20240212_181433.jpg 20240212_181500.jpg IMG-20240206-064010935-HDR.jpg

My inspiration...minus the snakeskin hat band.
gettyimages-98751726-1024x1024.jpg

Attachments

• 20240212_181340.jpg
    20240212_181340.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 18
The real beauty of a new custom is working with a hatter who listens to your ideas, is open to explore interesting concepts, and adds his or her own knowledge and know-how to make a dream become reality. Starting with a used, stock standard 50s 3X Stetson, Terry and I discussed everything from a flat brim to a heavily curled brim aka Matt Dillon. In the back of my mind, and for several years, I've been thinking about a tribute hat. When I offered the challenge, Terry was all-in and the result is amazing! Terry was able to use the embroider liner and was even able to save the size tag and reorder labels. This one is not just a keeper, but destined to be a family heirloom. Thank you, Terry.

View attachment 589792 View attachment 589794 View attachment 589795 View attachment 589796 View attachment 589797

View attachment 589798
Fabulous

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 589792 View attachment 589794 View attachment 589795 View attachment 589796 View attachment 589797

View attachment 589798
Awesome! You look great, and thank you! Those colors really work for you too. It was a real pleasure working with you. You had some great ideas, and actually, you gave me some ideas for future projects.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I think a 6” tall block on a fedora would look cartoonish in a size 6 ¾, but it’s none too tall at 7 ¾. I’m excited to move onto my next custom from you too.
Yup. That's true enough. You have to get the dimensions just right for it look good. I'm a 7 1/4. So for me a 5 3/4 open crown and a brim width of 2 5/8 - 2 3/4 works perfect but may not work for somebody else. Block shape and crease type is also something to consider for someone's size and face shape. In any event, I believe we got a tad more than 6 out of the Borsalino. More like 6 1/8. That crown height should definitely work perfect for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner