Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scammers on Facebook Market Place concerning vintage hats

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Not sure if it's proper to post this here but it does pertain to hats and scammers on Facebook Marketplace that I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
A few days ago, I saw another 1950s Stetson Whippet for sale for 75.00. I didn't want to make the 2hr drive to get it because the day before I traveled 2hrs to pick one up from a seller in Delaware. This one was in Northern PA, so I asked if seller would ship it. They stated they would for 15.00. I still considered this a good deal. We made the transaction through PayPal and seller texts me back that she doesn't see the funds. I check and the funds were sent to her, and it was shown as paid. Seller says she still didn't see the money posted to her. She claims her phone is acting up and it won't allow her to access her account. I checked PayPal thinking there was a glitch and by mistake I clicked on the "send transaction again ". This caused the amount to be paid to the seller twice. To make a longer story long, I ask seller to contact PayPal and void the one transaction. Seller says her phone was acting up and now sees the PayPal transaction. She states she is going into work tomorrow (Sunday) and will be taking the hat with her to work and send it and then she would contact me with the information. I again ask her to contact PayPal. Never received another text back and no other word on the shipping of the hat.
I notified my credit card company and once charges are out of pending, they're going to deduct them from my account. I was scammed.
Bottom line: No hat, and charged twice.

Another one happed yesterday (12/4). I posted some hats for sale on Facebook Mkt Place. I get a text from a man stating he wanted to buy the Bailey Casmir 100% Rabbit Fur Felt. Thinking he was local; he says he's sending his daughter over to pick it up at 5pm. Before I can react to payment in cash, he says he sent me the money by way of Zelle. I've never used Zelle, but my credit union accepts it. He sends me a (what seems to be legit) email from Zelle. It states that I need to transfer 700.00 to buyers account because purchase price of the hat puts me in Business Status. To make a long story short, I was texting back and forth with this guy for over two hours as why I won't send him the money to his account. He said I was the one trying to scam him, and he needed the money for his medicine. He stated I now have his 500.00 and he wanted his money. While I had him on chat, I contacted Zelle, and they verified, it was indeed a scam email. I also found out from checking his Facebook page, he was in Germany. When I got back on messenger with him and called him out, he was gone. I was almost swindled but my instincts told me otherwise. He was persistent and thank goodness I didn't fall for it.
Two scams in one day. I've been pretty fortunate on Facebook Mkt place and have found some of my best hat finds at unbelievable prices and for the most part the sellers have been honest.
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Not sure if it's proper to post this here but it does pertain to hats and scammers on Facebook Marketplace that I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.
A few days ago, I saw another 1950s Stetson Whippet for sale for 75.00. I didn't want to make the 2hr drive to get it because the day before I traveled 2hrs to pick one up from a seller in Delaware. This one was in Northern PA, so I asked if seller would ship it. They stated they would for 15.00. I still considered this a good deal. We made the transaction through PayPal and seller texts me back that she doesn't see the funds. I check and the funds were sent to her, and it was shown as paid. Seller says she still didn't see the money posted to her. She claims her phone is acting up and it won't allow her to access her account. I checked PayPal thinking there was a glitch and by mistake I clicked on the "send transaction again ". This caused the amount to be paid to the seller twice. To make a longer story long, I ask seller to contact PayPal and void the one transaction. Seller says her phone was acting up and now sees the PayPal transaction. She states she is going into work tomorrow (Sunday) and will be taking the hat with her to work and send it and then she would contact me with the information. I again ask her to contact PayPal. Never received another text back and no other word on the shipping of the hat.
I notified my credit card company and once charges are out of pending, they're going to deduct them from my account. I was scammed.

Another one happed yesterday (12/4). I posted some hats for sale on Facebook Mkt Place. I get a text from a man stating he wanted to buy the Bailey Casmir 100% Rabbit Fur Felt. Thinking he was local; he says he's sending his daughter over to pick it up at 5pm. Before I can react to payment in cash, he says he sent me the money by way of Zelle. I've never used Zelle, but my credit union accepts it. He sends me a (what seems to be legit) email from Zelle. It states that I need to transfer 700.00 to buyers account because purchase price of the hat puts me in Business Status. To make a long story short, I was texting back and forth with this guy for over two hours as why I won't send him the money to his account. He said I was the one trying to scam him, and he needed the money for his medicine. He stated I now have his 500.00 and he wanted his money. While I had him on chat, I contacted Zelle, and they verified, it was indeed a scam email. I also found out from checking his Facebook page, he was in Germany. When I got back on messenger with him and called him out, he was gone. I was almost swindled but my instincts told me otherwise. He was persistent and thank goodness I didn't fall for it.
Two scams in one day. I've been pretty fortunate on Facebook Mkt place and have found some of my best hat finds at unbelievable prices and for the most part the sellers have been honest.

my rules are no FB payments for items unless its in person, no sending money unless it's via a platform that vets their users and that the second there is slightest murmur of unusual transactions, money not being found, etc., I cancel the transaction and tell the buyer to pound sand, and report them to PayPal if the payment was made that way.

DonR

One of the Regulars
I was selling a camera on FB a couple of weeks ago. Had all kinds of strange contacts. I only accepted cash as local pickup. Too many scams. I was about to give up on FB and list it on ebay.
So I did a search for the model and lo and behold, I found my pictures from my FB as somebody else's ebay listing. I contacted them and ebay and supplied proof to ebay that this was a scam. They never pulled the listing and it closed. I wonder what happened with that buyer. I did end up selling my camera to a local photographer on FB.

Gregory Wilde

New in Town

Gregory Wilde here..Wow Don that is unfortunate..two scammers in one day....It warns us all once again to all be careful...I personally don't believe all I see or hear or read anymore on social media or elsewhere....we all really have to inspect every aspect of any transaction...and know who the seller is and their reputation..otherwise just give it a miss..

Cheers....glad you have been getting some nice used vintage hats though...as I feel as many of us do...that the vintage ones such as Borsalinos were made better back in the day (prior to their bankruptcy and new ownership for sure.. most agree).

I am sure you are aware that Robert Gault of Wolfbrae hatters in B.C (just look for the Wolfbrae thread here in the lounge) ..He. makes his fine bespoke hats from beaver and rabbit...I was fortunate when I found Robert...I purchased a tall boy 1930's style Portuguese beaver with 2 inch vintage grosgrain ribbon and a forties style "Bogart" .fedora hat..They are made like the old hat masters used to make them back in the day...He is amazing with communication..My hats arrived..perfect fit..perfect condition...great work. My website: thegregorywilde.com ..if you are an art lover. We all enjoy our hats here on the lounge....and wouldn't go out without one.

Attachments

• 20221023_233808 (3).jpg
    20221023_233808 (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner