Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on price.

Mark_O

New in Town
Thought I'd ask the group here on what a fair price for a size 62 Akubra bushman would be.
I had posted a wanted on the FB group and a fellow member had said, he had the hat I was looking for.
What would a fair price to pay for it be? It's OOP and in a larger size so I'd guess their might be a premium?

Any help would be most appreciated!
Mark

rogueclimber

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd ask the group here on what a fair price for a size 62 Akubra bushman would be.
I had posted a wanted on the FB group and a fellow member had said, he had the hat I was looking for.
What would a fair price to pay for it be? It's OOP and in a larger size so I'd guess their might be a premium?

Mark

I'm no hat expert, but in my opinion a fair price is whatever you're willing to pay for it/how badly do you want it...

But for anyone to give a more than somewhere between $25 and $300 guess, they would need a bit more info: Age and condition might be the most important, tags, box, ribbon etc...

milandro

A-List Customer
price is in the eye of the beholder , your know what it costs new , a second hand hat will always cost less.

It is true that there are less larger sizes around but also less people who buy them , so the premium may not always be warranted. A 62 Akubra was offered for over a year in the NL and at 1/4 of the new price and it is not that it sold very easily (in the country where the tallest people in the world, on average, live) .

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

Mark
Unless it is in almost new condition, I personally would not spend a lot of money on a used Akubra. I love Akubras and respect them for what they are, but they do not hold their value. I would have to think long and hard before I paid anything more than 70-80 USD for a used Akubra. Of particular concern is that the sweatbands shrink, so you really can’t be sure that a used one is still the listed size. And the fur felt (again, I like it a lot for what it is) can get exhausted quickly (by which I mean the brim and crown start to sag, the crown starts to taper, it shows crease ghosts, etc). .I have some that have exhausted very quickly and others that don’t seem they will ever get tired - with Akubra it’s a crap shoot.

That being said, if it were an almost new Akubra, in a discontinued style (like the Bushman), that I really wanted, I would happily pay over $100 - though still probably not more than $125ish.

I can’t speak to prices at your hat size, though - these prices are from the perspective of a size 7 (56).

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Another thing to keep in mind is a custom. There are hatters here on the Lounge that could make you a Bushman or any other general style, with customizations and tweaks to your preference, for not terribly much more than a new Akubra. Especially consifering shipping from Australia.

Mark_O

New in Town
Another thing to keep in mind is a custom. There are hatters here on the Lounge that could make you a Bushman or any other general style, with customizations and tweaks to your preference, for not terribly much more than a new Akubra. Especially consifering shipping from Australia.
Yes, another viable option. Would you have any sugestions on who to contact?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff