Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project A-2

fishmeok

Vendor
James Miller said:
It goes through leather like butter four piece's of leather at one time. I never tried any thicker than that when I have installed epaulets on the shoulders I have had no problems or when I re sew a collar.

My problem comes in with the lining. I start with the sleeves then the neck line. The only thing left is were the Zipper connects , that's where I get in to trouble.

That's the area I have the most trouble with too- a lot of my problems have to do with trying to match the existing holes. The cuffs and waistband are pretty easy once you get it figured- it's hard at first to visualize the jacket and liner turned inside out. I've taken that Avirex A-2 apart 3 times now to get it right. I have the Avirex, two W&G's my old Cooper, and a Goodwear Dubow which is pretty much my master reference- comparing the modern "Low-End" repros is interesting (and often a good lesson in what not to do) , and they make good practice jackets.
What model Pfaff do you have?
Cheers
Mark

James Miller

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
That's the area I have the most trouble with too- a lot of my problems have to do with trying to match the existing holes. The cuffs and waistband are pretty easy once you get it figured- it's hard at first to visualize the jacket and liner turned inside out. I've taken that Avirex A-2 apart 3 times now to get it right. I have the Avirex, two W&G's my old Cooper, and a Goodwear Dubow which is pretty much my master reference- comparing the modern "Low-End" repros is interesting (and often a good lesson in what not to do) , and they make good practice jackets.
What model Pfaff do you have?
Cheers
Mark

Mark, The model I have is a PFAFF model 1222 with a walking foot, it feeds the leather through so I can concentrate guideing the leather.

This morning I went out and purchased about 25 square feet of leather enough to make a jacket and then some it has really nice grain but a little lighter than I hoped for but for the price I'm not complaining. Do you or anyone know where I can get a pattern to make the body cuts, the sleeves are not a problem.
I tried cutting one without a pattern once before... well lets just say I goofed. Now I have extra leather to make lables.

fishmeok

Vendor
Sorry all- I goofed and posted this on my other "making an A-2" thread, it really belongs here- I forgot I stared two of them...

So I'm calling it done- I had to re-do the bottom of the windflap zip three times and it's not by any means perfect, but I'm happy for now. I realized last night that part of my problem with dropped stitches was that I was threading the bobbin on my 80 year old sewing machine wrong. It still is not nearly as good as an industrial made for canvas/leather, but it got the job done.

My biggest problem was on the windflap side around where the wasitknit meets the zipper. I had a hell of a time getting everything to line up properly, as I mentioned above it took three tries just for the zipper in that area. I was also trying to match previous stitch holes which made things look pretty bad when I made mistakes. And I made plenty of mistakes. The pockets are too shiny- don't use black leather as material thinking you can re-dye it dark brown. The lining was much more difficult than I thought. Getting it positioned correctly along the zipper and on top of the collar in particular.

The Createx airbrush paint is very rugged, after heating it to set I can scratch it with my fingernail without removing paint. I still need to add a USAAF decal on the sleeve though.

Finished:
DSCN2877.jpg
DSCN2886.jpg

DSCN2898.jpg
DSCN2891.jpg

DSCN2874.jpg
DSCN2885.jpg

Trouble area...

DSCN2879.jpg

fishmeok

Vendor
James Miller said:
. Do you or anyone know where I can get a pattern to make the body cuts, the sleeves are not a problem.

I don't know if there are any available patterns. I know Chapman copies real A-2's to get his. That's what I was planning to do when I start trying to make a complete one, though I think I will make one out of cloth first. Where have you been finding your leather?
Cheers
Mark

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Just looking at the pictures, there's an awful lot to like about that Jacket. I don't imagine it could look bad at social distances under full daylight.

Well done sir. :eusa_clap

Mark

Tariacuri

New in Town
You should solve that shiny issue with the pockets and put the 459th FS patches on it - at least the 5" Squadron and a name tag. It's a respectable jacket now.

fishmeok

Vendor
Matte topcoat would probably be better. The pockets are glossy because it took more paint to match the black leather to the rest of the jacket. I'm not going to worry about them though, it's not nearly as noticable in the daylight. I'm just happy the jacket turned out wearable, I was having some serious doubts there for a while.

Cheers
Mark

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Where I got my leather.

fishmeok said:
I don't know if there are any available patterns. I know Chapman copies real A-2's to get his. That's what I was planning to do when I start trying to make a complete one, though I think I will make one out of cloth first. Where have you been finding your leather?
Cheers
Mark

I bought the first hide at tandy leather. Second two hide's I got on Ebay. If I can get my Photo Bucket figured out I will post the Pictures of the jacket I'm working on. I should have started with fabric! "Wow" the first jacket the leather is so thick it takes a lot of effort, especially when trying to sew the collar and the shoulder along with the epaulets. I still working on it. I just want to see if I can do it. I much rather restore older leather. I have already done close to a dozon of them and I must say with great luck. I wish they all fit but I need the practice.

James Miller

One of the Regulars
taking some of the gloss away.

Tariacuri said:
You should solve that shiny issue with the pockets and put the 459th FS patches on it - at least the 5" Squadron and a name tag. It's a respectable jacket now.

Tandy Leather sells a product called de-glazer that will help. also you can try on a scrap piece of leather Goo remover. It evaporates quickly the you can rub the leather down with a light sheen after that. I use both products on leather to take of the shine befor I hand paint my Sqaudron patches. Yes I have a few patched I have painted also along with leather restoration. Gee I wish my spelling was as good as my kraft!

fishmeok

Vendor
Interesting that Tandy is still out there- I remember getting stuff from them 20 years ago. I don't think we have any in the Twin Cities though.

After threading my bobbin correctly a lot of the problems I had went away but I still drop stitches when the presser foot is half on and half off of different layers. I lose my tension and the top thread will not form into a loop. If I sew into the layers (going from 2 to 4 or more) it's OK, but coming down from 4 or 5 layers to 2 layers is the biggest issue. Does this happen with your Pfaff?

Getting the liner, waistknit, zipper, and bottom windflap lined up correctly was a major PITA. I should probably have just made a new liner, I was trying to stretch it past worn areas, which I'm sure did not help.

Here's a couple patches I did about 15 - 20 years ago...
DSCN2910.jpg

DSCN2917.jpg

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Sharp artwork

I have had some problems with my PFAFF when trying to sew almost 1/2 inch of leather. I think the timing may be out, so Monday I'll drop it of at the sewing machine repair shop and let them adjust the timing.

The Squadron patches you have painted look good. I hope that the ones I'm working on turn out as nice. I have done a few by hand and some people tell they like them and wanted me to some for them. I'm doing this as a hobbie and dont know if it would be as fun if I had to do them in large amounts.
keep up the fine craft and hope your enjoying doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy