Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prom

jwalls

Vendor
Wear your most impressive hat. In 40 years they'll still remember and envy your style. A high school friend complimented me about the derby I wore at my own prom, and as you can see that was some time ago.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
cptjeff said:
Gangs mostly. It's intended to discourage baseball caps made up in gang colors, and to avoid forcing school administrators to acquire a brain somewhere, they simply banned all hats.

Wearing a proper hat would raise little objection unless one has one of the really authoritarian and brainless types in charge. Unfortunately, that species is all to common in schools today.

Yes, I have stories....And a new one hits the news every week. However, many administrators take such a hard line on stupid rules to avoid liability when some parent thinks their little horror is being treated unfairly and threatens to sue though.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Ditto...from here in Georgia.
Maybe the administrators saw "Goldfinger" and couldn't get over Oddjob's steel-rimmed bowler. You can never be too safe...

Yep, go for the hat but I second the "quality" comment and add that you should wear something you'll look comfortable in. As opposed to self-conscious. The old saw about wearing the hat instead of it wearing you. I'd suggest a decent black or light grey homburg if you look good in something like that.

For-real bowlers are stiff hats and it's more of a task getting one that will fit. Toppers seem a bit outré unless you're going to wear white tie, white vest and tailcoat. Homburg works with a lot of things and you'd be able to find other occasions for wearing it later.

- Bill

grimakis

New in Town
After conferring with my peers, it would seem as if any sort of hat would be largely out of place. Also, my face isn't particularly suited to any wide-brimmed hats, and unfortunately I only have a wide-brimmed Stetson.(And even still, it is the wrong color to match my tuxedo.)

Since I have no means to acquire the correct hat by Friday, it appears as if I will have to go without one.

I do agree that only a quality hat would have sufficed. I am not the kind of person who likes to waste money of cheap things. My philosophy is that if you are going to lay out money for something you don't really need, it better be high quality and last a really long time.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
hats at prom don't work

a97073_p1.jpg

a97073_p8.jpg

a97073_p14.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97