Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper waistcoat length

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah so it is just the waistcoat and not part of a suit? Yes,that's different. But you told you already got some waistcoats from ebay so you got some mix and match experience. Maybe you can just measure the one you wear the most. I wouldn't automatically go with the lowest waisted pants because it propably will be a pair that looks fairly modern and doesn't need a waistcoat.
I mean chinos or jeans for example.

OK, what would I do in this situation? I would measure wearing the middling waisted pair of trousers. not the highest, not the lowest. I would accept that the wiastcoat probably isn't going to be wearable with the highest ones (pocket access etc) and with the lower ones will have to be worn open, insouciantly, or maybe with one or two buttons done up.

This (below) fits perfectly with the trousers for which it was intended, but these trousers hang a bit lower. Doesn't look too bad, but if I tried too hard to wear it like a formal waistcoat it'd look silly. It's the insouciance that allows it to work.

kurtz18-9-2013.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, I have some Ebay waistcoats that "feel" too long (perhaps it is the pants pocket access - I haven't identified why they feel long), and some that 'feel" short (though they cover the button on the front of the pants). I guess my perceptions are fairly reasonable then, and I will end up sending the tailor the waistcoat as a pattern that fits well at the chest and waist, and tell him that my ideal would be about an inch shorter.

thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick