Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proxy buyer in Japan needed

TartuWolf

Practically Family
The proxy services are nice, but I would really like to just find a member who could proxy for me for a small fee. Then I could cancel out most import taxes, which are usually nuts in my country (33%+).

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
remembo.jpg

Maybe I am reading something in between the lines about Remanbo...

FWIW, when I first started using FromJapan they allowed me to "declare" value at the shipping checkout section. Probably when they were hungry for customers but they're not doing that anymore. There are always new younger guys wanting a piece of the pie and may be willing to play in the grey areas. Just don't expect them to lend you a hand when things go wrong.

I am just glad all my import cost is fixed at 12% now from preferred countries of origin. There was a time when it wasn't so, and was over 35%...

Nacho

Practically Family
View attachment 580546

Maybe I am reading something in between the lines about Remanbo...

FWIW, when I first started using FromJapan they allowed me to "declare" value at the shipping checkout section. Probably when they were hungry for customers but they're not doing that anymore. There are always new younger guys wanting a piece of the pie and may be willing to play in the grey areas. Just don't expect them to lend you a hand when things go wrong.

I am just glad all my import cost is fixed at 12% now from preferred countries of origin. There was a time when it wasn't so, and was over 35%...

Depends on the total value. Not always fixed at 12%. Sometimes they go as low as 5% for PST.

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family
I had that a few times from Tricker's/UPS, just 5% I thought I got lucky. haha.

Same here haha. Also 5% from UPS a few times now. I find that sub $300 total value seems to be a sweet spot for that.

I’ve come to terms that I can’t escape the taxman no matter what. But if I can declare a lower value to pay less tax, I’m all for it.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I wouldn't be that bothered by 5% or 12%.
And it's not always enough to declare something a certain value - you have to prove that it's what you paid as well.
Depends on the courier sure. I think last time I just provided the fedex pdf where the value was mentioned as proof to the customs.
But in other cases... In theory.. Buy item for 1000eu, provide proxy address, pay 100eu to proxy, proxy declared item at 100eu, you prove that you paid 100eu to the sender, you get item and proxy sends the 100eu back to you (-tip).

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think you EU residents also have to pay taxes on the shipping cost. The total taxable amount includes the shipping as well. Makes no sense to me, but it's what it is.

Just the taxes alone is a major factor in the buying decision, more than one third of the total price.

And a lot of EU countries have VAT rates near or over 20%. That's hard.

All proxies are not technically legal because there is the issue of price fixing and the grey area of product ownership / who is gonna be responsible when things don't go well. The risk we take for leather jackets... Almost like weed before it became legal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner