Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

psychology of the hat wearer

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
When I'm wearing a hat I'm inclined to act and feel more polite and civilised, with more inner calm. It's not that I'm otherwise considering myself to be rude or anything, but still... it's just that extra bit.
Can it have something to do with being noticed and/or being expected to be a gentleman? It's feels something like being in uniform; you're being seen and that means you're under obligation to show your best side ("noblesse oblige").

Anyone recognise this?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
You may have something there, Dr. Speed. I know that when I was in uniform I definitely assumed the persona of Sergeant Yeager--enough so that I once had a girlfriend ask for her goodbye kiss before I put on the uniform to go to work. (I suppose that may have been too much information, but it conveys the difference well I think.)

These days when we dress nicely and wear a hat we do tend to stand out from the crowd. I think we're aware of that, and act accordingly.

Regards,
Tom

donCarlos

Practically Family
Yes, I think I have the same feelings. However, if someone touches my hat, I become an animal.
I think that if more people would wear hats, more people would be polite and nice and the world would be better place to live. How naive am I? :)

I have a number of hats and some of the hats go with certain clothes (or we can use the terms outfits) while others are a bit more general in nature and can be worn with a variety of clothes.

Pairing a hat with a suit or a blazer and tie will give me one set of vibes. If I am wearing my yardwork fedora or outdoor hat, that gives another set of vibes. If I am casually dressed and wearing a hat then it is a whole nother set of vibes.

For me it is more clothes makes the man, pick the clothes for the situation and match the hat to it then the correct attitude kicks into effect.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I'm a newcomer to hats, with very few at present: a Basque beret for everyday wear and a panama for hot weather. I certainly carry myself straighter in a hat. And I suppose with that self-awareness comes a greater sense of myself in relation to others, too -- not in a conceited way, but as others have said, just in respect of knowing myself a bit better.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
donCarlos said:
Yes, I think I have the same feelings. However, if someone touches my hat, I become an animal.
I think that if more people would wear hats, more people would be polite and nice and the world would be better place to live. How naive am I? :)

If only that could be true...

But yes...I think I know where you all are coming from. I notice my personality and behavior seems to change slightly when I put on my hat.

DrQuest

Familiar Face
I agree also. I definitely feel a much different "vibe" when I am wearing one of my fedoras with a suit or sport jacket; almost like I am back in the 40s or 50s (I wasnt born until 1962, if that even matters) and thus expected to behave more like a gentleman. If only we had a resurgence of this today......

ProfessorShak

New in Town
I myself don’t really notice a change in my behavior except that in some situations, because I also have a beard, people assume that I think and behave a certain way because I wear a hat.
Trying to gather up my studies from psychology, it depends greatly on the schema or concept you have of a typical hat wearer. For example, depending on the type of hat, will conjure up personality traits of the wearer that you were exposed to in your lifespan. The bad a$$ tough gunslinger wearing the cowboy hat can actually provide an unusual sense of confidence and arrogance depending on whether you understand a guy in a cowboy hat to be confident and/or arrogant. The top hat for example, can conjure up a sense of bourgeoisie and upper class demeanor, but that’s because we RARELY see anything to contradict the other while wearing a top hat.
As for it affecting your mood or personality I may depend on your self image with the hat and without the hat. Some people act differently because it may be expected from them. Psychology is a tricky study but that would be my take on the matter.

Hal

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
...I certainly carry myself straighter in a hat...
Both headgear and full-length outercoats improve the "bearing". If the wearer doesn't stand up straight, the coat creases in front. A hat or cap, put on properly, (well forward on the head) cause the wearer to hold his head up.
This may be why I think that men look better in winter clothes - I only wear a hat with an overcoat or raincoat, and feel smarter thus dressed.

D00R

One of the Regulars
DrSpeed said:
When I'm wearing a hat I'm inclined to act and feel more polite and civilised, with more inner calm. It's not that I'm otherwise considering myself to be rude or anything, but still... it's just that extra bit.
Can it have something to do with being noticed and/or being expected to be a gentleman? It's feels something like being in uniform; you're being seen and that means you're under obligation to show your best side ("noblesse oblige").

Anyone recognise this?

hrm i kinda understand what your saying..
Usually people assume I'm a mean person, I'd get that a lot from strangers who begin to know me. people say I look mean and unfriendly.
I think maybe when I wear a hat people can see a bit of my personality more in a better way.
Not to many people wear hats. Its more of a preferable choice then the common one now a days. And cause of that people can't just pigeon hold you to there own assumptions.

thats how I feel about it..:eek:

Edward

Bartender
As with anything, confidence is key, I think. I know that when I'm properly accessorised with hat, gloves, etc, I feel much more confident out in public - less shy, more inclined to ofer a lady my seat on the tube, that sort of thing.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Besides the confidence and posture points, with which I agree, I just don't think a person can be a total uptight PITA and still wear a stylish hat. Hats are fun, and there is definitely more to a stylish hat than pure function. In a certain way, your hat says, "look at me and my cool hat." It's an outgoing piece of clothing. My experience is limited, but I think it makes sense.

theprofessor

New in Town
it goes without saying that the way we dress and present ourselves alters both our behavior and the way others perceive us. if you dont believe it, just give it a try. if you wear a suit in a professional situation, you will be treated with more respect than if you were wearing a t-shirt. as an experiment, i wore a bow tie in an academic setting. surprisingly, people assumed i was smarter. its the same with a hat. if you wear a dignified hat with the proper dignity, it will come back to you. a few people will make the gratuitous "Indy" remark, while most will appreciate it. i was wearing my akubra fed deluxe in a hospital recently and a lady on the elevator commented that she missed the days when "all gentlemen wore hats." because of her statement, i took extra care to be especially polite.

Archéologue

It's long been said that "Clothes make the man" and I certainly agree.
An actor will dress the part, and they become the character. Some
may find it challenging to dress differently than their peers, but it's
enjoyable to watch people react. I suppose the gratuitous Indie remarks
will greatly increase now that the new Indiana Jones film is out! -Michael

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I've actually found that people treat me differently, and are noticably nicer, when I've got a hat on. I'm not sure why. Possibly because it's less common but not inherently threatening, carries an implication that you think of yourself as slightly different and, at the same time, just might be the kind that is more courteous and respectful of others. Consequently, I'm more apt to return the sentiment and interchanges often become smoother and gentler.

On the other hand, if a dispute arises, and I firmly but courteously assert my views while wearing a hat, I am more apt to get an attentive hearing.

Beyond that is an area I have views about but am hesitant to explore in a few brief remarks. In a sense, I think that headgear is a special thing that can in some circumstances have spiritual power. This was recognized in almost all cultures prior to what we fancy as civilized notions. The head is uniformly understood to be the center of perception and cognition. It is also very close to your face which is a significant communicator of thoughts and feelings. Hence whatever you place on your head can change your view of the world and how the world views you, more than almost anything else you might wear.

I do know that any hat with a brim can confer a powerful sense of protection when I am feeling less confident or vulnerable or particularly sad. And some hats, for reasons I can't articulate, do far more than that. There is a town in Alberta, Canada called Medicine Hat. The exact origin of the name is uncertain, but it surely refers in some way to some sort of headgear of a Blackfoot "Ni-namp'-skan" or medicine man. I think many hats have the potential to be "medicine hats", if we are willing to recognize that kind of phenomenon.

- Bill

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
fedora swagger

I feel that I am not any more polite than usual. The only real difference is the walk. I have swagger with hat (or think I do) and I walk/talk/joke/smile accordingly. I feel like Sinatra or Bogie, and I like it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just attended a wedding where I saw a bunch of folks I haven't seen in quite a while. I noticed they pretty much eyed the hat at least once as we spoke, and sooner or later I got a comment on it. I find that most guys would like to wear a hat and seem to mention relatives who wore hats, etc.
I think the psychology of a hat is it reflects your decision to wear a hat FOR YOU. Not for anyone else. Wear your hats, folks. Maybe others will find the confidence!

YARVTON

New in Town
"An Actor will Dress the Part..."

It sure did work for Olivier. So many of our tortured "method" types know everything about the lower-middle-class, but can't convincingly play anything else.

While I was waiting in a long line to pick up a theatre ticket, I noticed another hat-wearer walk in the door. He made his way around the end of the line and came up to ask ME if this was the right line. I get a lot of people asking for directions, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy