Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public radio: Origins of Glenn Miller's "In The Mood", fascinating

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Here's a FASCINATING national public radio MP3 segment all about the history of Glenn Miller's "in the mood", tracing the origins of the riff back to the earliest recorded version, from 1930 (!), by the one-armed jazz trumpeter Wingy Manone, who called it "Tar Paper Stomp", through several other incarnations (including one by Fletcher Henderson & one by Artie Shaw), before Miller took it in as "In The Mood" and made it a staple:

(MP3) Progression of Miller's song "In The Mood"

I was just talking with someone's mom who just turned 80 and was a young teen in the heydey of the swing era; she remembered that in Virginia where they had a soda shop that the owner let them swing dance every weekend to the jukebox, when "in the mood" got real quiet, then loud at the end, all the dancers would throw their free hand up and scream. lol

Localized swing era traditions like that are just so cool, wish we could save them all.

Swing High,
- C H

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is wonderful!...

I only wish my Aunt was around to hear this!

When I was a teenager my room was filled with Beatles pictures and posters - I idolized those four lads from Liverpool! My Aunt came into my room one night and said, "I know exactly how you feel. When I was your age I had pictures of Glenn Miller plastered all over my room!" I responded with, "Glenn Who??!!"

Well I certainly learned Glenn Who!! It is amazing how our horizons can be broadened! My aunt is the one who put me "In The Mood"! Swing High, indeed!

-dixon cannon

:eek: P.S. No! not what you're thinkin'!! Strictly platonic, I assure you! lol

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
I only wish my Aunt was around to hear this!

When I was a teenager my room was filled with Beatles pictures and posters - I idolized those four lads from Liverpool! My Aunt came into my room one night and said, "I know exactly how you feel. When I was your age I had pictures of Glenn Miller plastered all over my room!" I responded with, "Glenn Who??!!"

Well I certainly learned Glenn Who!! It is amazing how our horizons can be broadened! My aunt is the one who put me "In The Mood"! Swing High, indeed!

-dixon cannon

:eek: P.S. No! not what you're thinkin'!! Strictly platonic, I assure you! lol
lol Right, Dixon - for me it was my granddad.

Swing High,
- C H

Snookie

Practically Family
Mora's Modern Rhythmists, a favorite swing band here in L.A., does a version of "Tar Paper Stomp" (and has a recording of it on Call of the Freaks, I think). I always thought it was too similar to "In the Mood" -- I had no idea it was the forerunner! That's so cool.

www.morasmodern.com

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Snookie said:
Mora's Modern Rhythmists, a favorite swing band here in L.A., does a version of "Tar Paper Stomp" (and has a recording of it on Call of the Freaks, I think). I always thought it was too similar to "In the Mood" -- I had no idea it was the forerunner! That's so cool.

www.morasmodern.com
I kept hearing folks on this board always talking about Moras Modern Rhythmists, always seeing their name advertised for CA events... Just went to the website, checking out the audio clips: WOW! They sound Great! just might have to break my "I Quit" rule, and buy another swing CD...

The singer sounds kinda like Jack Teagarden. Thanks for the link. Always fun (& rare) to find a new band that plays really well.

Swing High,
- C H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy