Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Compliments to you on finding this thread, the last entry before your's being 2014. Spezzato style can work but I do take Belfast Boy's focal point comment.

This is how I mix a multicoloured outfit, notice that all the colours are from a similar spectrum going from the dark brown of the hat to tan and white of the shoes.

View attachment 425841
Yes, an aspect of my post i did not make clear is the concept of 'Flow'. Too much going on can also mean the look is blocked into separate sections rendering the look choppy. Your look in the pic has great flow to it. My eye would immediately go to the jacket and the rest of the items complement that focal point.

Juhani

New in Town
Yes, an aspect of my post i did not make clear is the concept of 'Flow'. Too much going on can also mean the look is blocked into separate sections rendering the look choppy. Your look in the pic has great flow to it. My eye would immediately go to the jacket and the rest of the items complement that focal point.
I agree. If the "sections" don't communicate each others, the outcome surely lacks the "flow." To me your concept of "flow" sounds a matter of harmony, and it can be adjusted by finding optimal contrasts. Neutral colours prevent the overall outfit look clownish. The reason for asking about burgundy was that sometimes I wear black pants. Some say you should never wear burgundy shoes with black trousers, but I'm not sure about that. Instead, there are certain (dark) browns that don't match with black. However, as for my case, the discussion here led me to go for brown. Not too light, not too dark.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I agree. If the "sections" don't communicate each others, the outcome surely lacks the "flow." To me your concept of "flow" sounds a matter of harmony, and it can be adjusted by finding optimal contrasts. Neutral colours prevent the overall outfit look clownish. The reason for asking about burgundy was that sometimes I wear black pants.
Flow is, as you say, harmonious, pleasing to the eye. Black is often avoided to prevent your perceptive observance of looking clownish, but if you follow the flow as Belfast Boy suggests, you get an appearance that you might be surprised by.
Dog tooth jacket 001.JPG
The hat is a natural straw colour, you can call it off white or cream. The shirt is also off white, the check jacket has a more cream texture in the lighter shade of the checkered finish, the neck tie follows suit. The black trousers flows well from the jacket, but the white shoes? To my eye the flow goes from the hat colour and back again. Well almost, I don't have any cream coloured shoes and I don't much like the natural colour of the soles of these shoes, yet overall I'm quite happy, except for being caught catching flies. It's a British expression being seen with your mouth open.

Juhani

New in Town
Flow is, as you say, harmonious, pleasing to the eye. Black is often avoided to prevent your perceptive observance of looking clownish, but if you follow the flow as Belfast Boy suggests, you get an appearance that you might be surprised by.
View attachment 425906
The hat is a natural straw colour, you can call it off white or cream. The shirt is also off white, the check jacket has a more cream texture in the lighter shade of the checkered finish, the neck tie follows suit. The black trousers flows well from the jacket, but the white shoes? To my eye the flow goes from the hat colour and back again. Well almost, I don't have any cream coloured shoes and I don't much like the natural colour of the soles of these shoes, yet overall I'm quite happy, except for being caught catching flies. It's a British expression being seen with your mouth open.
That's a fine appearance!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wide awake at five o'clock this morning, I knew that I would have to get up, if only to relieve my aching bladder. What to do now? News reports perhaps? Not really, I'm not a news junkie, nor can I concentrate on TV news at 5 am. The book that I am into at present is a good read but at this hour I find that I keep having to re-read the last paragraph, I quickly gave up on that.

Then I remembered that the MG car club had been in touch about the New Forest spring run. Last year Tina & I turned up in circa 1947 attire, the year that our car came off the production line. It created quite a stir.

NFMG Run & blue shoes 001.JPG
How do we follow that? When I searched for inspiration, this thread, putting it all together, was one of the suggestions.

Reading some of the pages from the past, how I recall those members. Life changes of course, people move on. Putting it all together though has given me food for thought. This year's New Forest run will be on Sunday 4th June 2023, time enough to put it all together. The shirt that Tina made for me is a must. It depicts MG cars from various periods and the buttons that she made from lapel pins are just amazing.
MG Shirt 004.JPG MG Shirt 005.JPG MG Shirt 006.JPG MG Shirt 001.JPG
Tina will be making white baggy trousers, twenty two inch hems, no less, Fox Tailoring will make a blazer, the shoes and hat I already have, I will put up a photo every so often, possibly when I am next wide awake at five am, until eventually you can see the complete outfit, all put together.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
A lovely bride sir. As an insomniac City pro up at all hours I rely upon coffee almost exclusively.
And your tear drop shades add dash. Bye the way, there is a walking stick man in South Africa named Burger
who is an artisian. His canes feature warthog tusk ivory handle option with additional work. Superb stick.
His site is a pleasure to browse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points