Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

q for panama hat aficionados --

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Traditionally one wears a black straw hat when playing golf with an arch-villain. This is also one of the few occasions in which etiquette allows one to cheat.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
I don't have colored panamas, but I do wear black and brown straws. The color on straw makes no real difference in terms of heat, though white and natural are regarded as more "summery." I find that black straw is very useful with grays, blues, black, and excellent with jeans. Sometimes a bright white hat with a black ribbon is just not what you want to wear. [huh]

For example;

3686235424_971ea0e024_b.jpg

Great hat - but even greater shirt! I love that design!

Cheers,

C-C

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about!

I don't have colored panamas, but I do wear black and brown straws. The color on straw makes no real difference in terms of heat, though white and natural are regarded as more "summery." I find that black straw is very useful with grays, blues, black, and excellent with jeans. Sometimes a bright white hat with a black ribbon is just not what you want to wear. [huh]

For example;

3686235424_971ea0e024_b.jpg

Good on ya', mate. That works like Ham & Cheese, like Martin & Lewis. And yeah, killer-diller shirt.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
worthlesswithoutpics
In Bekal, Campeche, México, there are hat woven there, fine woven, people called also Jipi Japa straw, crushables and white. There are wheat straw, coconut palm straw hats, in Puebla, Oaxaca, Veracruz, Guanajuato, Hidalgo y Michoacán, fine straws and better woven.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Por ejemplo? worthlesswithoutpics

1961MJS

Hi

Wearing a black (cold weather color) Straw (warm weather material) hat seems counter intuitive. I don't think I'll ever have a black Panama, but a darker tan or brown might be in the cards. Scout Camp, in the forest raining tics with Lyme Disease.

later

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Side stepping the question of what constitutes a "genuine panama" hat I can answer this way.

For me personally, never. I enjoy the warm and variable color and texture of the natural fiber and have no use for any other color. I don't even like it when the straw is bleached overly white.

+1. I like mah milans yella, mah panamas creamy, and mah beavers silver bellay.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
One would wear a dark colored straw whenever a dark colored felt hat would be appropriate if it wasn't so d(*&n HOT!

If you don't have a dark colored straw you would wear your dark colored lightweight felt.

A funeral comes to mind. And at night if you don't want to be the sniper's primary target.

EggHead

Practically Family
This reminds me of another eternal question - "Is brandy a cognac? Or the true cognac must be grown and distilled in Cognac, France?"
BTW, I usually drink the one that comes from France, but I was lucky to own a bottle of 50yr old brandy from Argentina - still have fond memories!

Rick Blaine

Recent aquisition : Brown Straw Caldo c. 1950

Another example of a golden (or Silver) era Panama Caldo w/ deep a rich brown color w/o any signs of degradation of the straw- d@mn near pristine in fact.
caldo-1.jpg

I'll slap a pug or a (more modern) leather strop on this bad boy & it'll be ready for the NEXT 50 yrs., by gum! Makes me wish for the return of warm weather... almost.
:D

DAJE

One of the Regulars
Rumor has it that black bodies absorb more radiation.

It's not a rumour, it's basic science.

Darker colours absorb more light, lighter colours reflect it. The energy in absorbed light is converted to heat, therefore a light coloured hat is cooler than a dark coloured hat.

Light-coloured clothing in sunny weather isn't a meaningless tradition: people observed that light colours reflect more heat long before anyone figured out the science behind it.

So, while a black straw hat might be appropriate at night, it's counter-productive on a hot sunny day.

Duper

Practically Family
Does anyone know where I can inquire online or order one of these Jipi Japa straw hats from Mexico? I saw a show "How it is Made" a few weeks back and I have read a bit about them. I would like a Panama style fedora in a different material.

"In Bekal, Campeche, México, there are hat woven there, fine woven, people called also Jipi Japa straw, crushables and white."

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran