Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

quality greek fisherman's cap?

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
My Uncle, a passionate sailor, has owned a greek fisherman style cap for many years. He mentioned recently, that he might like to try to acquire a new one. I'd love to find him a nice one for Christmas. Do any of you have any experience, or know of a quality brand? The internet seems to be flooded with sub $20 souvenir hats, but I'd like to get him something nicer if such thing exists.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
All the ones I have seen in stores or online look to be the same rather poor construction. (The one I have is made of cotton and stapled cardboard.) I wonder if a custom maker of flat caps would be willing to make one.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
What material would your uncle prefer? Wool, cotton, leather? I've seen leather ones that looked pretty substantial... Hartford York has one, IIRC.
If you want to go with cotton, these folks have a pretty good model:
http://quakermarine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66
The roll-up can be rolled up with no problems... mine worked well for a summer hat.
Wool - it seems like everybody has a Greek-made Greek Fisherman cap. Not aware of any particular one being better or worse than the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24