Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Aero and alterations

TheMilkman

New in Town
Hey, I spoke with someone over at Aero about potentially getting a D-1 jacket with b-6 style handwarmer pockets and was told that they cannot due that due to them wanting to remain as authentic as possible.

I totally can respect that line of thinking, and find it admirable even, but I’ve seen many examples on this forum of other people getting alterations of all kinds to their D-1s from Aero. Has there just been a change in policy over the years? Am I missing something? It’s not the end of the world to me to not have altered pockets I’m just curious.

Additionally, to anyone with a D-1, how are the pockets for putting your hands in them? Is it too awkward? Would the zippers tear up the shearling on the sleeves? Any wisdom would be appreciated.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I spoke with someone over at Aero about potentially getting a D-1 jacket with b-6 style handwarmer pockets and was told that they cannot due that due to them wanting to remain as authentic as possible.

I totally can respect that line of thinking, and find it admirable even, but I’ve seen many examples on this forum of other people getting alterations of all kinds to their D-1s from Aero. Has there just been a change in policy over the years? Am I missing something? It’s not the end of the world to me to not have altered pockets I’m just curious.

Additionally, to anyone with a D-1, how are the pockets for putting your hands in them? Is it too awkward? Would the zippers tear up the shearling on the sleeves? Any wisdom would be appreciated.
The rule that Aero does not change anything on military jackets has been around for a long time.
The zips don't bother me on the D-1 and I don't have a problem with the sleeves either. But the pockets are a little too high for me and the angle of the pockets is too shallow to carry my hands comfortably. However, I rarely use handwarmer pockets. I put my hat or gloves in the pocket.

PilotJens

A-List Customer
You may want to try out a different maker if you want alterations done .Five star leather will do any alterations you want .You could also go with Simmons built but they are even more controversial than five star leather.

I don't recommend zipped hand warmer pockets if you have sensitive skin in the winter because they are really harsh on your skin .

Xopher

A-List Customer
I have seen several Aero D-1s in recent years that had some minor customizations.

I saw a redskin Aero D-1 with non-zippered pockets in the past.
They were D-1 angled pockets and not B-6 angled though. It also had leather seam binding on the cuffs and hem.

I saw it on this forum but I can’t seem to find the photo anymore, I think it got lost in that whole Photobucket switch that locked unpaid photo accounts several years ago.

So I am absolutely certain they have done and still do non historical customizations.

They just seem to be a little strange about which Non-historical customizations they allow and which they won’t.

For example there were no original D-1s in redskin hide, but Aero does that option.

A redskin D-1 could certainly not be considered a Military reproduction, it would have to be called a civilianized rendition based on a Military inspired jacket. So that is contradicting their desires “to remain as authentic as possible”.

Grommet hookless zipper on a D-1 is a feature I’d like.

Now granted I have not asked them about that option so I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect they will shoot that down too for accuracy even though as far as I can tell the D-1 was invented in 1937 and Talon/Hookless stopper boxes didn’t come about till 1938, so the very first D-1s would almost certainly have had Grommet Talon/Hookless zippers..

In my opinion.

If you make damn good historical replica military jackets (which Aero does), then doing civilizationized custom versions does not ruin an image or a brand.

(Especially since they are already making inaccurate variations)

It just makes it a civilian jacket, and not a military replica.
And it also makes a happy returning customer.

Both historically accurate versions and custom versions can coexist.

The only thing stopping me from dropping about $6000 or more with Aero is that they just wont do some minor tweeks to their option availability.

As the above post says, Five Star will do it, as will Simons Bilt.
But I don’t think Simons Bilt will use talon zips. They have some other brand zips.
And I don’t know if Fivestar hides are as good as Aero or Simons Bilt, Someone else may be able to weigh in on that.

I heard some folks complain about Simons Bilt in the past, something about fit and pattern issues? But I have never owned one of their jackets so I can’t really say for sure.

Didn’t someone from Aero start the Simons Bilt company? They look like similar.

1708570566063.jpeg

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-trial-narrative.82006/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/aero-leather-clothing-trial-update.81945/

Last edited:

Aloysius

Repro companies wanting to keep the military reproductions as close to spec as possible isn't really crazy. The majority of "B-3", Irvin, etc jackets on the market are civilianized versions with those tweaks already made, so this is a unique selling proposition for the repro companies.

Personally I'm a bit confused by OP's request. The D-1 and B-6 are really quite similar; if you prefer the pockets of the B-6, why not just get a B-6? It's essentially an improved D-1 anyway.

MrProper

Repro companies wanting to keep the military reproductions as close to spec as possible isn't really crazy. The majority of "B-3", Irvin, etc jackets on the market are civilianized versions with those tweaks already made, so this is a unique selling proposition for the repro companies.

Personally I'm a bit confused by OP's request. The D-1 and B-6 are really quite similar; if you prefer the pockets of the B-6, why not just get a B-6? It's essentially an improved D-1 anyway.
I don't think a B-6 is nearly the same as a D-1.
The back, the sleeves, the front, the collar, the pockets. The two are only similar at first glance. I like the D-1 better.

Xopher

A-List Customer
I don't think a B-6 is nearly the same as a D-1.
The back, the sleeves, the front, the collar, the pockets. The two are only similar at first glance. I like the D-1 better.
I completely agree. I have a B-6 but would rather have a D-1 because the B-6 is just a little too fussy, and wind blows through the zipper. The D-1 has a storm flap and keeps that from happening

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner