Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on LL Racing Green Sheep jacket

SimonMW

New in Town
I seem to have caught the Lewis Leathers bug and am considering ordering a jacket in sheep leather green. For a moment I thought about going completely outlandish and getting a yellow horse jacket with black stripes, which personally I think would look great, but I think even I might struggle with self consciousness with it on.

So anyway, my question for anyone who has a Lewis Leathers in racing green sheep. I saw a photo on the forums of one of their jackets in racing green that was showing areas of black, possibly through wear/ageing. I thought it looked pretty awesome. Can anyone confirm if there's a black underlay that gradually breaks through as it ages or is it the normal grey?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
no, there is no black.

1678803185299.jpeg

1678803212598.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone confirm if there's a black underlay that gradually breaks through as it ages or is it the normal grey?

The leather darkens quite a bit when exposed to sunlight. Scratches show up light/pale green, which is not a good look imo. Some leathers get better with age, this sheepskin is not one of those imo. Also, this hide is very much prone to scratching. For me this was the reason to sell the jacket.

1678806110797.png

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Yeah sun light definitely makes it more of a murky pond kind of color. Starts off more on the pine tree scale. I've got a few different shades going. I'm sure with more time and wears, it'll even out and get a little darker, but I don't know about black.

Here's a recent pick with about 25 wears and sometime hanging out in the sun.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkBtV2RPlYI/

1678856433083.png

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I seem to have caught the Lewis Leathers bug and am considering ordering a jacket in sheep leather green. For a moment I thought about going completely outlandish and getting a yellow horse jacket with black stripes, which personally I think would look great, but I think even I might struggle with self consciousness with it on.

So anyway, my question for anyone who has a Lewis Leathers in racing green sheep. I saw a photo on the forums of one of their jackets in racing green that was showing areas of black, possibly through wear/ageing. I thought it looked pretty awesome. Can anyone confirm if there's a black underlay that gradually breaks through as it ages or is it the normal grey?
I actually have both the types you mention - great jackets but chalk and cheese - you cannot go wrong with LL in my view - I really like the veg sheep, it is a very classy leather….and their coloured jackets are great too - I think they have the very best patterns of all the brands I have too. I have 2 racing green jackets - a Western and a Super Phantom - plus three brighter HH jackets in turquoise, yellow and orange….and a vegtan cow black Dominator. All custom made - a few shots below if it helps.

Attachments

• 425439E7-9CC3-4DF9-AA32-D23821884E0D.jpeg
    425439E7-9CC3-4DF9-AA32-D23821884E0D.jpeg
    763.2 KB · Views: 109
  • F03ACB90-228A-423A-87E2-A78CC10F2478.jpeg
    F03ACB90-228A-423A-87E2-A78CC10F2478.jpeg
    656.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 5B6C77B3-7B41-4C0E-856B-4DA5769F317D.jpeg
    5B6C77B3-7B41-4C0E-856B-4DA5769F317D.jpeg
    908.6 KB · Views: 78
  • E1E37DD8-49A8-44D4-87BF-C3FD88BA987F.jpeg
    E1E37DD8-49A8-44D4-87BF-C3FD88BA987F.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 8CF23149-BCBD-4927-8D92-0F1F4EEE78E9.jpeg
    8CF23149-BCBD-4927-8D92-0F1F4EEE78E9.jpeg
    687.4 KB · Views: 80
  • CDA16CB6-108F-4500-8FB3-C59FE8A5BEA8.jpeg
    CDA16CB6-108F-4500-8FB3-C59FE8A5BEA8.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 73

SimonMW

New in Town
Thanks for the replies guys. @Salmosalar do you get much use out of the yellow one? I've always thought it looked great, but can never figure out if it would be too OTT!

There seems to be an anti-horse sentiment generally, but is it really that bad? Or is it that it just takes a long time to break in and develop character?

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Thanks for the replies guys. @Salmosalar do you get much use out of the yellow one? I've always thought it looked great, but can never figure out if it would be too OTT!

There seems to be an anti-horse sentiment generally, but is it really that bad? Or is it that it just takes a long time to break in and develop character?
Yes - I wear it a fair bit in the warmer months - it is a v different leather from the sheep - it takes more breaking in than their sheep, which is v comfortable straight out of the box, but it is not heavy nor as stiff as FQHHCXL for instance. The LL coloured jackets are really aiming at a different type of retro market than is typical of the FL membership - the former are really more 60s/70s styles, the latter more 1930s-50s, so it depends on your personal taste tbh. I never really care about anything being OTT - if I like it I will wear it and never give it a second thought. Obviously you need to pair it sensibly - it would look daft paired with wide pleated trousers or tweed plus fours, but with jeans and a t shirt no problem….

barnabus

One Too Many
I actually have both the types you mention - great jackets but chalk and cheese - you cannot go wrong with LL in my view - I really like the veg sheep, it is a very classy leather….and their coloured jackets are great too - I think they have the very best patterns of all the brands I have too. I have 2 racing green jackets - a Western and a Super Phantom - plus three brighter HH jackets in turquoise, yellow and orange….and a vegtan cow black Dominator. All custom made - a few shots below if it helps.

That orange jacket is the absolute nuts! I love it.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I love the colours of LL. Just don’t get enough wear out of my black jackets, so I am really hesitant here…

Edward

Bartender

Fashion, I think. Fifteen years ago in these parts horse - the heavier the better - was seen as the be all and end all by many. One piece backs were also seen as vastly superior to multi-panel designs. In the years since, there's been a growth in popularity of a much wider range of hides.

I love the colours of LL. Just don’t get enough wear out of my black jackets, so I am really hesitant here…

Lewis brought in a load of those bright colours in the mid-late seventies. Marketed them as motorcycle wear, a supposed safety feature via increased visibility. They were never close to as popular as the black, of course - though I do remember around the early to mid eighties it wasn't massively rare to see bike jackets in red or a turquoise blue. I don't ever remember seeing bright orange on anyone actually on the roads, though somebody must have bought them. Sort of thing that probably has more appeal for folks who are into the modern sports bike aesthetic. That said, I'm sure more than a few of those yellow jackets have been sold under the influence of The Bride...

1679141932824.png

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

LL horse (the standard one, not the pricey veg tan) changes a lot in between batches.
I have an older Lightning in horse which is absolutely beautiful. I then bought a Dominator in 2019 and couldn’t get used to the leather. Very plasticky, uniform and no aging whatsoever. The leather just sprung back to “as new” the second I took it off. One may even like it for that, but I sold it on.

Of course, LL sheep never disappoints (got my replacement Dominator) in it and absolutely love it), but I plan to have a close look at the veg-tan leathers later this year when I make it to London again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ