Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about Hat Ribbons

egan

New in Town
Hi all
I've got a vintage champ pork pie hat which needs a new ribbon as the other got stained.ive bought some vintage grosgrain ribbon which I now need to attach to the hat.i know that the ribbon needs to be curved or swirled with an iron,which I should be OK doing,I've watched some videos.my question is how much curve does the ribbon need?the one that came off the hat didn't appear to have much curve at all,whereas the videos I've watched they appear to be doing nearly a full circle.any help,particularly pictures,would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to mess up the ribbon I bought,cos it's a difficult size to find,2 and a quarter inch.im assuming the width might also affect the amount of curve needed?
Thanks

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Something like this should be good enough. You'll know when it's too much. I mist my ribbon with water before I put the iron to it. Also, I put a pressing cloth over the ribbon when ironing. The misting helps with wrinkles and also helps with stretching just a tad more length out of your ribbon, if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20221223_053521155.jpg
    IMG_20221223_053521155.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 39
Hi all
I've got a vintage champ pork pie hat which needs a new ribbon as the other got stained.ive bought some vintage grosgrain ribbon which I now need to attach to the hat.i know that the ribbon needs to be curved or swirled with an iron,which I should be OK doing,I've watched some videos.my question is how much curve does the ribbon need?the one that came off the hat didn't appear to have much curve at all,whereas the videos I've watched they appear to be doing nearly a full circle.any help,particularly pictures,would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to mess up the ribbon I bought,cos it's a difficult size to find,2 and a quarter inch.im assuming the width might also affect the amount of curve needed?
Thanks
The wider the ribbon and the more the crown taper then the more radical an arc is needed. Narrow ribbon, straight sided crown equals minimal swirling.......and up from there. Be cautious with the wide ribbon to not put much pressure on the ribbon and refrain from pulling it. Arc the ribbon on a flat ironing surface and iron as you go without pressure and without pulling. Good grosgrain should swirl fine.

egan

New in Town
Thanks for your replies.it doesn't look like I need to go too wild judging by the picture.it looks similar to what came off the hat but as I tried to clean it the curve got lost and can't therefore replicate it!!!the other tips are most useful too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass