Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about sheepskin (Shearling) jackets

f2002q

One of the Regulars
In my experience, Irvins look their best and are most comfortable when worn a size up from your normal one. the warm air gets trapped in the extra space and keeps you toasty, like a sleeping bag. I'd happily sleep on a park bench in my Irvin. My D-1's perfect for Scottish weather, but is more comfortable as a standard fit. I did own an ANJ4, which was a beautiful piece of kit, but the fleece was so thick that it was unwearable above the chilliest weather that we get here, so I traded it for a D-1.

Can I ask who made your ANJ4 jacket?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It was Aero, made by Greg Field, now of Field Leathers. He did an amazing job, pin-sharp stitching and cutting. Part of me regrets trading it, because it was just a fantastic item, but it would be like owning a Ferrari just to do my daily 10 minute commute! V difficult to justify!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My limited understanding lead to several aspects to justify a jacket price:
1. The leather is valuable and scarce-- not apply to sheepskin
2. The leather tanning process is difficult-- I don't know
3. The construction of the jacket is complicated-- I don't know but seems like shearling jackets are not obviously more complicated than other jackets.
4. The functionality-- other hides are more durable and rugged, sheepskin is warmer.
5. Commercial consideration.
I think the sewing does require more effort that one has to wrestle with the thick hair. Correct me if I am wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy