Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions from a hat newbie

ClaraBelles_Hats_etc

New in Town
I think that I have it fitting properly now with the help of some newspaper folded up behind the sweatband.
The ink from the newspaper ink may stain the hat if you sweat in it. Try Pellon nonfusible interfacing from a fabric store, or
a strip of terry clothe behind the grosgrain.

fenris

One of the Regulars
I've used folded up tissue paper to stuff the sweatband on one of my hats. Worked for me!

As for treating the hat, I sometimes use Scotchgard. Just don't go crazy with it as it does kinda stiffen the hat a bit... Also, when it comes time for a reblock, too much of the stuff can make it difficult for the one doing the reblock.

DanO

One of the Regulars
Hat Newby Questions

If you will pardon my newby questions I have always collected hats just seldom wear them. Lately I picked up two Scala IJ Fedoras not because of the indy style just the cool 30's 40's fedora style. One is dark brown wool felt and the other is black fur felt both are satin lined and not crushable (exactly what I wanted). I bought the black one for an Alaskan cruise next year. It doesn't get quite cold enough here in San Jose to wear hats all the time but I was going to wear the wool felt one a little more as an everyday hat which means out in the rain and such. Is this advisable and how should I take care of it when it does get wet, I do not see it getting thoroughly soaked but it could. Both hats are as I said not crushable and fairly stiff which I like at this point as they maintain there shape. Any wisdom that can be imparted to me will be greatly appreciated.

DanO

Annixter

Practically Family
You will find good information using a search function, either using the Fedora Lounge (FL) search function or google including the FL. Here's one thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?61731-Wool-Felt-and-Fur-Felt-in-the-Rain

For what it's worth, my first fedora was a wool piece. After making my way to fur felt, I used the wool piece as a beater hat. After a heavy downpour, it shrunk about three sizes.

As for San Jose not getting cold enough to wear a fedora year-round, it looks like you might need to find yourself a Milan, Panama, or another warm-weather hat.:D

DanO

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link, a couple of people talk about scotch guard would that be recommended for the wool felt hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes