Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions from a newcomer!

GregNYC

One Too Many
Hello all,

Glad to have found this place! I'm a nostalgia buff in every thing: literature, movies, military and civilian attire, shoes/boots, shaving, colognes, watches, pens, pencils, paper, typography, graphic design, automobiles, music, you name it. My father was a friend of Walter Gropius of the Bauhaus movement, and we always had design and art and old music and movies at home. I like Art Deco up to the pencil-pants pre-acid 60's. I found Paddy's and Bill French's posts on the vintage leather jacket forums. But this place is a place to burrow into a wider range of the classic beauties of a past world. Fascinating!

But it's new for me to get serious about the clothing aspects. Can you recommend a good book on the great clothing of any part of this time period?

Can the fedora wearers among you get away with wearing them? I'm in NYC, so I think I could too. I think I'd prefer a real vintage to a modern repro lookalike. Does anyone wear a fedora with an A-2 leather flight jacket? Like THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT!

What do you do for the shoes? I found some great shoes like my father used to wear in the 1950s. The Leeds by Allen Edmunds.

Leeds_display.gif

Shiny smooth shell cordovan, and really thick leather sole, with a slanted cut-out on the inside corner of the heel so as not to catch on your pant cuff or the carpet.

I'm interested in WWII khakis too, and will try WWII-Impressions. Bills I found to be only so-so.

How about the shirts?

Any Aloha shirt fans? A friend of mine is crazy about them, it's the only kind of shirt he wears!

I should stop asking - I like everything!

Any tips?? Thanks to all,

--Greg

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge, Greg. I am glad you like da joint. It sounds like you are going to fit in well here.

Most of us wear lids on a regular basis. I never leave home without a fedora or a tweed cap.

Enjoy!

Feraud

Bartender
Welcome GregNYC! Good to see a fellow NY'ker 'round here.
Fedoras and any vintage look is no problem in NYC. We are supposed to be a diverse city, right? Where better to dress 'to the 9's' than in the Big Apple. Fedoras and leather jackets are fine. I work in the city and wear any combo of fedora, 'newsboy' style cap, leather A2 or Wested 'Indiana Jones' jacket. I have only ever received positive comments on my hats in the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24