Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quilts?

Foofoogal

Banned
I recently discovered the heavy fancy comforter I was using was making my back hurt it was so heavy. As I like to be warm when I sleep I decided to open the hope chest and get out some vintage quilts. It was amazing how much more comfortable but so much warm I was.
I love old quilts and am looking forward to buying more here in Arkansas. Does anyone quilt?

Mike K.

One Too Many
I don't quilt, but I come from a quilting family...mother was former curator of The Virginia Quilt Museum! Needless to say quilts have been a part of my life for awhile. If you are actually using them, be sure that the quilts are not heirloom antiques...better to use a modern "commercial" quilt or new handmade one. I've seen what happens to vintage quilts when people didn't know any better.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I am hoping to learn to sew (have the machine now, still need lessons) partly because I so covet being able to make even the very simplest quilts. Many ladies here are all about sewing vintage-style outfits, but me, I'm all about vintage style decorating. :)

I love the intricately patterned ones as well, of course...but knowing how all-thumbs I am, my ambitions do not rise that high. lol

I have a couple books of quilts patterns, one from Better Homes and Gardens in the '70s - I can say some of their COLOR choices reek of that decade and are not my taste at all, but thankfully that's in many cases all they updated from some pretty classic patterns.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I do! I love making quilts- well the tops anyway. I send them off to get professionally quilted by machine. I just sent one off that I made for my parents for their anniversary. It's a memory quilt and has 8 photos of them on it. Their wedding picture, through the years, etc. Their 40th is Feb 1. I pick it up on Sunday so I'll post a photo when I get it back.

If you have old quilts- take them out occasionally and refold them so they don't get creases :)

Here's one of my favorites, and the one we use on our bed during the colder months.

quilt-1.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
Thank you. Just lovely. Is that the Morning Star pattern? I wonder if different areas of the country or world call the patterns different names. I will have to post my pixs of a few of mine.
I made a top but machine sewn and tacked it. I have never had binding done on the sides and one of my goals is to do that this year.
I tried to learn to quilt but could only do about 5 stitches an inch. lol Not very good. I am in awe of those who can do it correctly.
I used to live near Huntsville Texas where once a year they have the "airing of the quilts" on the Courthouse square.
http://www.tallpinesquiltguild.com/
I also always enjoyed the quilts at the Houston Livestock Show. Unreal works of pure art.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks! It's from a pattern I think was Charm Stars- I can't remember for sure. You were supposed to trade fabrics with others.

That event looks really neat- I may have to plan a road trip!!!

Foofoogal

Banned
sweaterguard004.jpg

sweaterguard005.jpg

sweaterguard002.jpg

sweaterguard003.jpg

here you go texasgirl. I finally got my flash to work again.
The second quilt my mom made and it has the eagle backing. Priceless to me.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Just remembered to check this- foofoogal- lovely quilts! I love both- I think the first one is grandmother's garden

Here are some more of mine:
Album quilt- using 19th century repro fabrics
albumquilt.jpg

Homespun repro fabrics
homespunlasagna.jpg

Timeless pattern- Shoo-fly and civil war era repro fabrics
shoo-fly.jpg

A couple baby quilts- this one has sock monkeys
sockmonkeys.jpg

and Winnie the Pooh
winniethepooh.jpg

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:

I have a quilt almost identical to this one. It's all hand-sewn; no machine stitching. By the fabrics, I'd guess it was made in the 20s or 30s. It's very pretty, but I do use it (gently!)- it's our current bedspread. I just can't justify putting it away in a closet where I can't enjoy it. I have so many quilts (must have been a popular thing to do several generations back in my family) that I just don't have the room to store them if they're not in use.

Here's a detail:
100_3697.jpg

Cricket

Practically Family
The sock monkey and pooh bear quilts are adorable! I would love to start on one for my son. I better start saving scrap fabrics...when I ever get my sewing machine that is. [huh]

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
So pretty! I've got one from the late 1930's. My mother used to brag about someone in the family making it until my grandmother corrected her; it was actually purchased from a Sears catalog!

texasgirl

One Too Many
That reminds me of one I saw at an antique mall one day. Said it was from the 40s I think and it was like $200. It was the same quilt I got in high school- late 80s at JCPenneys! They had just washed it a lot or used it a lot or something- it was sure funny. I wish the owner of the booth had been there :)

Foofoogal

Banned
Sweet Leilani: That is amazing. Looks almost alike.

I love this thread and quilts. If I let myself I would buy every vintage embroidered baby quilt I could find as I think they are adorable but my daughter has other ideas. Like picking out her own stuff. [huh] lol

Such time and such love goes into these heirlooms.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
I used to design textiles--paisleys, florals, plaids, etc, for women's career apparel for a living, and when I decided to leave that career I cut up all of the various blouses, skirts, jumpers, etc I'd designed and made a crazy quilt out of them. Looking at some of the prints now, this is the only way I'd wear them anyway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24