Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rakuten Global for jackets?

kirkaero

New in Town
Yes it's usually safe. Shop from places that state that they welcome foreign buyers. I like Hinoya, Pine Avenue, & Cleverweb. Shipping by EMS is very fast. Just know your size. They often list measurements but do not take returns.

Good luck

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It's weird because if you check out online reviews from Rakuten everything you read is scam scam scam
On the other hand people on the lounge usually say it's safe.
I used Rakuten last month for the first time and am still waiting for my package... Fingers crossed.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
It's weird because if you check out online reviews from Rakuten everything you read is scam scam scam
On the other hand people on the lounge usually say it's safe.
I used Rakuten last month for the first time and am still waiting for my package... Fingers crossed.

Maybe some confusion with Rakuten .com and Rakuten Global Market?

The Global site all looks legit from what I've seen and heard, certainly if buying from what looks to be legitimate business on there. I've ordered half a dozen things on there and my experiences have allways been very good.

The .com site seems to opperate on more skectchy grounds with thousands of small/near anonymous resellers, much as Amazon/eBay does, and I doubt that is policed as much as it could be.

wdw

One Too Many
I bought maybe 10 or so items from Japanese Rakuten pre-Brexit with no problems whatsoever.

Since the collapse of the pound and the near-certainty of customs fees now, I don't find it worth the effort any more.

Great if you're in the US though.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I've ordered twice in the past 6 months from Global Ratuken. The businesses that I used exhibited very good communication and once the orders were placed I had both jackets in hand, here in NYC, within 4 days. I used EMS shipping and the both overall experiences were quite painless. If I wound have been able to go through History Prsservation Associates for both pieces, I would have, as both jackets/coats were Buzz Rickson's, but they were no longer available here.

- Ian

zhz

Practically Family
I used Rakuten global market a lot. They are really good. EMS is super fast, last time (2 weeks ago) it only took 2 days to arrive in UK, and another 5 days for UK customer to check and ask me to pay the customer fee.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Been a happy customer for over 4 years with hundreds of purchase from clothing, toys, watches, stationary to cosmetics. Of those only ever had one problem when the seller sent me the wrong size and it wasn't worth the shipping to ask for an exchange. Most sellers are small scale Japanese retailers/resellers (big brands would have their own shopping website), some provide quick response and some do not respond at all (btw don't expect quick response on Sat and Sun). Do not expect full customer service from Rakuten. Rakuten first and second response are almost always "Please contact the seller directly". In addition to the translation (all wordings and descriptions are translated from Japanese using auto translation tools), exchanges and refunds are also likely to be very tricky. As for the complaints, I'd say Japanese small scale retailers are not exactly accustomed to dealing with foreign buyers. Local shipping is clearly stated and calculated at check-out but overseas shipping is not. You will receive another notification regarding the total including the overseas shipping after purchase but your response is not mandatory, so some shops will charge you the total amount and ship out the items immediately without waiting for your confirmation regarding the shipping. Best ask about shipping before making any purchase.
Other sellers besides those mentioned above who are highly experienced in handling international sales-
Vintage Paradise
Vari
Top Jimmy
Speedway (John Lofgren's shop)
Shops that may take longer to respond-
Waiper

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just to echo wdw's sentiments, I've ordered fair few items from Rakuten Global and every one arrived in good time and were genuine. The custom charges smarted a bit at the time, but, pre-Brexit, but they're just not worth the candle now. It's worth a good trawl through the site, looking at various outlets as you'll occasionally find both sales and a variation in prices.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if any of you have tried it but Zen Market will act as a proxy when ordering from Japanese shops.

You have to pay a fee however.

At least you can order from any online store in Japan.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ordering isn't a problem, it's when it arrives in the UK, the item gets slapped with customs fee and handling fee that just ramps up the cost.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Fortunately, I didn't incur any customs fee here in the U.S.

With my purchases, I contacted the shops via email and via Facebook messenger. I'd write the message in English and below would be that same message translated to Japanese.

- Ian

Plumbline

One Too Many
A dozen purchases over 4-5 years .... one BR fake ( were they subsequently changed the description ) and eventually refunded.

Postage really quick ... quality generally very good with the exception of the above item. UK Customs charges and handling fees .. eye watering unless it's a high value item ( almost doubles the price of a sweatshirt ) ... so not used in over a year.

HTH

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Rakuten Ichiba is totally reliable. They have local offices throughout Japan who send inspectors to every vendor to ensure that they are a real business holding stock. I regularly use them for all sorts of shopping and have never had a problem.
Having said that, I understand that they (like yahooJapan) were involved in selling ivory, and you might want to check up on that, or not.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Fortunately, I didn't incur any customs fee here in the U.S.

With my purchases, I contacted the shops via email and via Facebook messenger. I'd write the message in English and below would be that same message translated to Japanese.

- Ian

You got lucky, my friend. Duty is mandated by law to be applied to EVERY item entering the USA unless that specific item is duty-free. The amount of duty is set in the harmonized U. S. tariff codes; the materials an item is made from, the item type, and where it was manufactured all factor into the amount charged. And even items that may have erroneously not been assed duty are subject to an annual process applied to EVERY cleared item, whereby an audit is implemented (by computer, but a manual one can follow) and a subsequent, corrected billing could take place.

The most costly item I have ever run across would be leather-welted footwear from Japan, which has a 45% duty, whereas it would be about 6% if made in China. Textiles from Japan, such as a wool coat, are dutiable @ 19%, plus a per-kilo flat rate based on the item's raw weight. Depending on who is actually clearing the item upon entry, there will be some processing fee to be paid, as well as another from U. S. Customs; some of the more costly fees come from shippers such as Fed Ex, DHL, etc.

It is my guess that under the new U. S. administration that is clearly directing significant effort to protect U. S. interests, scrutiny by U. S. Customs could reach levels higher than at any time in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy