Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rare and Expensive Books

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
While I read quite a bit, I have nothing of very much value in my library.

However, two volumes I'm particularly fond of and are quite rare are my Boeing 727-200 Trans World Airlines aircraft operating manual and training material. This was published by TWA training department in 1968 just a few years after the 727 was placed into service. The set is two blue binders with the TWA globe logo printed on the front. These were a gift to me from my son a few Christmas's ago. To me they are priceless, but I think they're worth a bit less than that.

Everything you need to know for upgrade training including quizes and sample tests for systems and aircraft operation. Quite rare from an airline such as TWA. I'd imagine most of those former TWA FO's and Captains have their's buried somewhere in a stack of memories from flying this fantastic aircraft. UPS is the last domestic service still operating this jet and are phasing them out for the 757.

The yellow manual is a US Air 727-200 POH. Much of the same information as the blue binders except for airline specific details and without the training material. The other book in the second photo is another training manual for the checkride.

727-1230-1-1.jpg

Cockpitphotos005-2.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
I have many old books and it aggravates me to no end I cannot figure out what I have. So I basically do nothing with them.

http://www.tias.com/7617/PictPage/3923201619.html
this is my attempt at selling one by doing some research on it. I have many like this but it is something I am not comfortable with at all.. Not sure why as I sell most everything else. I love books and read like a maniac as a child.

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a very strange small book called Demonology; or, the Scripture Doctrine of Devils, by the Rev. Joseph Young, late of Haddington (not the Latter Day Saint of the same name, but rather an obscure Edinburghian scholar). The first and only edition from 1856. There is simply next to no information available on the net or any other sources. I found a scan of the entire book on a webpage, but it seems to have vanished. I've seen the book being sold only twice - the second time was when I bought it. Mine is an ex-library copy, previously housed in the library of the University of Edinburgh, and I got it for pennies. The next time I saw a copy was when one popped up on eBay and it went for a little over 100 pounds.

Curiously enough, there is an elusive American company that sells archival reprints of this book for 500 dollars a copy.

With a bit of research, I found a curious piece of text, apparently it's the publisher Thomas Grant's advertisement:

THE SCRIPTURE DOCTRINE OF DEVILS.

By the Rev. JOSEPH YOUNG, late of Haddington.

" Our author has displayed powers of no ordinary analysis. His theories on the subject of Demonology are not only ingenious, but, possibly, as correct as any theories ever can be made. His enunciation of them is clear and forcible, while their defence is couched in that nervous, purpose-like style of writing, which betokens the pen of a practised and ' a ready writer.' The volume may worthily take its place in any library."— Scottish Review.

" An orignal and able contribution to existing demonological literature. It contains mnch excellent writing; the practical part, in particular, which is very full, and executed with much care, strikes us as especially excellent, and as what cannot fail to prove edifying to readers of every description. We will be glad again to meet with the author in any walk of dogmatic or practical divinity."—. United Presbyterian Magazine.

So I guess it's definitely rare and possibly expensive.

Quite interesting! I'd hold on to that for a while. I can think of two musicians (one American, one Polish) that would probably like to get their hands on that, both men being bookworms of sorts.

Big Man

I'm not sure how rare and/or expensive these books are, but I have a set of "The Novels and Tales of Robert Louis Stevenson" published in 1918 by Charles Scribner's Sons. The set consist of 25 hard-bound volumes, and is in very good shape. I received the set as a gift from an older lady in our community way back in the mid-1960's.

I'd be curious to know if this set has any value. Does anyone here at the Fedora Lounge have an idea?

^^^
I'd say that it's worth between $75-100 for the whole set. At least that's what I'd price it at. Judging by the number of copies at bookfinder.com, they're not that hard to come by. I take ABE/Alibris/Bookfinder prices with a grain of salt. I've seen sellers there asking $200-300 for books that are, based on my experience, worth as little as $10-20. One thing I've learned in almost 20 years of book selling is just because it's old -- even 93-years-old--doesn't necessarily mean it's rare.

Last edited:

Big Man

^^^
I'd say that it's worth between $75-100 for the whole set. At least that's what I'd price it at. Judging by the number of copies at bookfinder.com, they're not that hard to come by. I take ABE/Alibris/Bookfinder prices with a grain of salt. I've seen sellers there asking $200-300 for books that are, based on my experience, worth as little as $10-20. One thing I've learned in almost 20 years of book selling is just because it's old -- even 93-years-old--doesn't necessarily mean it's rare.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't interested is selling, just curious as to what the set may be worth. I read through some of the books when I was young, and read some from them to my children. Now, I'm starting to read to my grandchildren from the books. I have an 8 year old grandson that enjoys Treasure Island (and what young boy wouldn't?). So, considering the history I have with this set of books, their "value" is quite a lot to me.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I don't really own any older books that are worth anything substantial to my knowledge, but I've recently stumbled upon an authour, Arthur Upfield, whose books (not all, but quite a few) seem to go for more than the average price of a used book. Perhaps any Aussies reading this can tell me why...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran