Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

re: altering a Aero Highwayman

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
An update!

lJzNnMSl.jpg

Received the new jacket last night.. it's a bit stiff, but already a dramatic improvement imo.

Love it now!

winterland1

Practically Family
Looks like a great fit.
So you had the jacket altered or a different jacket?
Nothing wrong with stiff. Gives you a reason to wear it all the time. Breaking it in.

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Looks like a great fit.
So you had the jacket altered or a different jacket?
Nothing wrong with stiff. Gives you a reason to wear it all the time. Breaking it in.

Different jacket. Pretty much the same specifications except I shortened the sleeves and length like everyone suggested.

jenkins

New in Town
that looks perfect on you!
so what was your specification exactly, is that a size 42 with your alterations?
(I'm quite the same as you in shape and size, that's why I'm asking)

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
Looks a lot better than the first one, I agree that fit is to some extent a matter of preference but don't think many would disagree that this is an objective improvement. The model looks too boxy to my taste but that's really a personal thing. Now break that mother in ;-)

I agree. Looks good.
HD

Same here.
As noted, a Highwayman is not designed to be a tapered fitted jacket, like a cafe racer or a half belt.
Once the jacket breaks in a bit the body will loosen up and drape nicely.
Get the jacket wet and wear it around while doing chores outside a couple of times. Bend, reach, lift, twist. The leather will soften up and conform to your body.
Think of it as a giant, top quality leather baseball glove. A bit stiff at first.....with time will mold to you and "fit like a glove". :D

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Two quick questions... 1) How do you know the jacket's properly broken in? When it can no longer stand up by itself?

and 2) Is it safe to use the handwarmer pockets or will they eventually sag from usage?

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Two quick questions... 1) How do you know the jacket's properly broken in? When it can no longer stand up by itself?

and 2) Is it safe to use the handwarmer pockets or will they eventually sag from usage?

The same way you know when you are no longer young. Just kind of sneaks up on you, and even then, you realize there is further you can go.
If you spend all your time worrying about the destination, you will miss the journey. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot