Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ready to order Aero Highwayman looking for some input before doing so.

Peckinpah

New in Town
I have been saving for an Aero Highwayman jacket for roughly over a year now, and I have finally got the funds together to go ahead and order one. Holly was kind enough to send me some samples and the Tumbled Brown Horsehide is the one I have decided to go for. However the last few days I have been looking at the Brown FQHH sample more and more. So perhaps some more time should be spent considering my options.

I own a couple of leather jackets, however, they are off the peg ones from Levi's and Wrangler. I have never purchased a jacket like this before, so I am a little nervous about making a mistake with what I ask for. I am just looking for some insight from people who wear these jackets.

My main issue is regarding the linings. Initially I had decided that I would go for the Cotton Sateen Black Lining (there was no option for Brown on the site) for the body and sleeves. Basically, I am looking for the lining that is the least likely to make me sweaty, haha. Both my Wrangler and Levi's jackets have Sateen linings and I have never had any issue with them, well not so far anyway!

However browsing these forums I did happen to notice a discussion regarding the Heavy Duty Cotton Drill linings. For someone like myself who is uncomfortable with heavy woollen linings what would you recommend? Would Cotton Sateen be the one to go for, for the body and sleeves? Would it be durable? Or should I choose The Cotton Drill for the body and Cotton Sateen for the Sleeves? Or the body and sleeves to be Cotton Drill?
What are some of your experiences with the aforementioned linings?

I would like this jacket to be suitable for Summer and Winter wear, I tend to layer up in the winter anyway, but not by a whole lot. Mostly just a heavier shirt. My general attire for most of the year consists of a T-shirt and a Levi's/Wrangler long sleeved shirt over it. Would Cotton Drill in the sleeves be uncomfortable if I am wearing a long sleeved denim shirt or even a slightly heavier cotton shirt?

I think I've covered the main issue with what is preventing me from placing the order, at the moment.
For the zippers I'm going with Antique Brass.
Storm Cuffs I am going for the option without them.

I like the standard button cuffs that come with the highwayman, but am open to suggestions there. Am I correct in thinking that the standard button cuffs are generally correct to the time period that jacket first appeared? If that is the case I would rather keep the standard button cuffs.

Other than the lining issue it's just now down to measuring myself for the jacket, which I haven't done yet. Holly gave me pointers on how to and what to measure, anyway. So, I think I am safe with that.

Apologies for the length of this post and the stupid questions!

I appreciate any pointers and recommendations you guys have.

Cheers!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
can't add much on the lining. I have the lightweight tartan one and I haven't noticed it being uncomfortable, scratchy, or hot. Kind of out of mind, which I guess it what you want. Been wearing with t shirt and my underwear around the house LOL trying to break it in during 100 degree heat wave in los angeles.

my advice on the sizing, make sure you understand how the leather type will affect the sizing. something that is broken in vs FQHH is going to fit different day 1 vs day 30. I almost returned mine (FQHH) because I thought it was too tight. But just after a week's wear, it's fitting perfect now. But something that is more broken in, if it fits tight right off the bat, you might have trouble, or at least some dieting in your future.

I'm assuming the tumbled HH is going to stretch more from the start than the FQHH. I can tell you for certain the FQHH is stiff as hell. See the photos some of us have posted in the Breaking In thread. YOu can literally stand the jacket up. So you'll probably get a .25 inch in the pit to pit break in on the FQHH over time. Not sure you'll get that with something that's already broken in. Take with a grain of salt, but make sure you ask about that.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
If you wear regular brown CXL HH, in a few years it will be the same as tumbled brown CXL HH. They're the same stuff, just a little more broke in and less new looking.

Cotton sateen and heavy duck are pretty different feeling. The duck will last longer, wear harder. The sateen will feel a bit nicer, and is still a durable lining that will last. I wouldn't hesistate to go with either. I wouldn't want a black lining for a brown jacket, but check with them and see what else they have, and if they have any colors that they particularly recommend.

If you omit storm cuffs, consider getting a zip-sleeve Highwayman. If it's not too moto-looking for you, it's a good way to tighten up the cuff if you need to, and they look cool as hell. They're way more practical than button cuffs, which I never, ever unbutton.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I have been saving for an Aero Highwayman jacket for roughly over a year now, and I have finally got the funds together to go ahead and order one. Holly was kind enough to send me some samples and the Tumbled Brown Horsehide is the one I have decided to go for. However the last few days I have been looking at the Brown FQHH sample more and more. So perhaps some more time should be spent considering my options.

I own a couple of leather jackets, however, they are off the peg ones from Levi's and Wrangler. I have never purchased a jacket like this before, so I am a little nervous about making a mistake with what I ask for. I am just looking for some insight from people who wear these jackets.

My main issue is regarding the linings. Initially I had decided that I would go for the Cotton Sateen Black Lining (there was no option for Brown on the site) for the body and sleeves. Basically, I am looking for the lining that is the least likely to make me sweaty, haha. Both my Wrangler and Levi's jackets have Sateen linings and I have never had any issue with them, well not so far anyway!

However browsing these forums I did happen to notice a discussion regarding the Heavy Duty Cotton Drill linings. For someone like myself who is uncomfortable with heavy woollen linings what would you recommend? Would Cotton Sateen be the one to go for, for the body and sleeves? Would it be durable? Or should I choose The Cotton Drill for the body and Cotton Sateen for the Sleeves? Or the body and sleeves to be Cotton Drill?
What are some of your experiences with the aforementioned linings?

I would like this jacket to be suitable for Summer and Winter wear, I tend to layer up in the winter anyway, but not by a whole lot. Mostly just a heavier shirt. My general attire for most of the year consists of a T-shirt and a Levi's/Wrangler long sleeved shirt over it. Would Cotton Drill in the sleeves be uncomfortable if I am wearing a long sleeved denim shirt or even a slightly heavier cotton shirt?

I think I've covered the main issue with what is preventing me from placing the order, at the moment.
For the zippers I'm going with Antique Brass.
Storm Cuffs I am going for the option without them.

I like the standard button cuffs that come with the highwayman, but am open to suggestions there. Am I correct in thinking that the standard button cuffs are generally correct to the time period that jacket first appeared? If that is the case I would rather keep the standard button cuffs.

Other than the lining issue it's just now down to measuring myself for the jacket, which I haven't done yet. Holly gave me pointers on how to and what to measure, anyway. So, I think I am safe with that.

Apologies for the length of this post and the stupid questions!

I appreciate any pointers and recommendations you guys have.

Cheers!

I have 30s half belt in brown FQHH with olive cotton drill lining throughout. It is slightly more difficult to put on if wearing a long sleeve shirt or sweater, though this can be mitigated by simply holding the end of the shirt cuff with a finger or two so it doesn't bunch up. That being said, if I personally were to spec a new jacket I would seriously consider sateen for the sleeves for that little bit extra ease of use.

As for temperature comfort I've worn the jacket anywhere from the 20s - 70s F and layered correspondingly underneath. What I wear underneath makes more of a difference than the cotton drill lining in my opinion in regards to heat retention.

Peckinpah

New in Town
Thanks for the replies, they've been very informative.

I was reconsidering the Brown FQHH because I do quite fancy breaking the jacket in myself. However, I think with this being my first Aero I will stick with the Tumbled Brown. Perhaps in the future when I order another Aero leather (which I absolutely plan to do! There are a few beauties on there) I will go with the FQHH.

Seems to be the best option is Cotton Drill for the body and Cotton Sateen for the sleeves.

Excellent! I do think I am comfortable with my choices.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply!

Bennarion

One Too Many
My favorite color, he is like a chameleon, constantly playing with colors. After a month of wearing the jacket 5 days a week, she became alive
IMG_20200910_163930.jpg

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked black drill cotton for the whole jacket including sleeves because I don’t like that kind of „sticky“ feeling of Satin lined sleeves when wearing something short sleeved in it, even worse when it’s a bit warmer. No „issues“ with rolling long shirt sleeves so far though these slip in Satin way better or course.

full

I also picked zip sleeves just because I like them better.

full

full

Cheers

Turnip

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I’m still waiting for @ton312 to weigh in. I suppose it’s only 6:30am there right now...

I’m a huge fan of the zip sleeves on the Highwayman.

One thing I don’t think anyone has mentioned yet is the dreaded lining droop that seems to happen more with wool linings. I’ve always assumed it’s because it’s a stretchier fabric. I think the cotton drill is less likely to do this.

Peacoat

Bartender
I’m still waiting for @ton312 to weigh in. I suppose it’s only 6:30am there right now...

I’m a huge fan of the zip sleeves on the Highwayman.

One thing I don’t think anyone has mentioned yet is the dreaded lining droop that seems to happen more with wool linings. I’ve always assumed it’s because it’s a stretchier fabric. I think the cotton drill is less likely to do this.
Yes, the cotton drill is a hardy fabric; that's why people use it. Not as inclined to droop as the wool linings are. But, I still prefer the wool.

MrProper

I have a jacket with viscose twill and everyone else with a heavy cotton drill. I think both are good. Viscose is a little more comfortable to wear, but cotton drill is much more stable. That's why my new order has a cotton drill again.

breezer

Practically Family
Its gotta be tartan lining on a HWM

Would Cotton Drill in the sleeves be uncomfortable if I am wearing a long sleeved denim shirt or even a slightly heavier cotton shirt?

no, its fine.

the most important thing is not to over think it........the ability to choose or customise is a hindrance - best to go with a stock design.....in my humble opinion.....

I’m lining my next HWM (midnight blue CXL) in toasty brown corduroy. I love the warmth and comfort corduroy provides and it far extends the jackets wearability in the Midwest. I intend to use this as a winter weight jacket, so it’ll have the traditional storm cuff, with drill in the sleeves.

MrProper

I’m lining my next HWM (midnight blue CXL) in toasty brown corduroy. I love the warmth and comfort corduroy provides and it far extends the jackets wearability in the Midwest. I intend to use this as a winter weight jacket, so it’ll have the traditional storm cuff, with drill in the sleeves.

do you think corduroy would also work with a crosszip made of Vicenza leather? At the moment I have ordered a cotton drill, but it would also have something warm and cozy.

do you think corduroy would also work with a crosszip made of Vicenza leather? At the moment I have ordered a cotton drill, but it would also have something warm and cozy.
I certainly do. My bootlegger 2.0 was cord lined as well and it was sublime. Corduroy lining is my jam with Aero.

MrProper

I certainly do. My bootlegger 2.0 was cord lined as well and it was sublime. Corduroy lining is my jam with Aero.
Thank you :)
So I will ask Holly for available colors.
But sleeves also? Or just the body?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So to the OP's questions - given the number of questions and the magnatude of some of them, and being you are in Scotland, why not just set up to go visit in person? It will be a lot easier to also try on a few jackets yourself, check out the leathers & linings, plus you get the whole aroma effect as well. If I lived most anywhere in the coutry, that is what I would do, but it's all to each thier own preferances. Plus - Highwayman jackets are quite difficult to get the fit correct on. An in-person measure would be invaluabe for this!

As for me, I am hard on jackets, I work in them, wear backpacks, etc. so Zip-sleeves work much better in my experance than the button cuffs. I generally used to choose CX Steerhide, but have mostly moved over to CXL FQHH - and not tumbled. I agree Tumbled appears very nice, but I like to do the break-in if possible.

For linings, the Lightweight tartans appear very nice, are smooth and easy to wear. However they can develop holes or sag toward the bottom over time. You can specify a cord or cotton drill strip along the bottom if you prefer. Unless you go full cordory or Alpaca Wool, you likely will not be adding warmth with the Tartan linings, unless it's the heavyweight. If you want all out durability, Cotton Drill is a great choice. As others have indicated, cotton sateen is very easy to work with, at some sacrafice in terms of durability overall.

So yes, too many choices. Again - Go visit, I wish I could do that! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21