Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Wested Quality?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I spent time at COW too, back before this place took off. Back then, the recommended "bomb-proof" Indy jacket was the Gibson & Barnes Expedition. Of course, they stopped making it. These days, there seems to be little significant difference across mid-range jackets - US Wings, Schott, Cockpit, Legendary, etc. I don't doubt that they're all tougher built than the Westeds. My only point is that for their very reasonable price, decent quality, and custom sizing (etc.), Wested shouldn't be ignored.

I guess I just don't wear my jackets as hard as other people, or maybe my rotation is just too even, because none of my leather jackets have ever exhibited the kind of wear I keep hearing about. My oldest and most frequently worn jacket - a G&B Civil A-2 I got in 2001 - is showing fading to the undercoat in places, but the zip, knits, lining, seams are all solid. The Wested is the next oldest, and apart from the replaced back panel (and that was back in 2006) it's held up great. Same with my other G&B and Schott jackets. (Ironically, my most expensive and best-made leather jacket, a horse Good Wear Dubow, is the one I wear the least. Why? Russet's really not my color, and I miss having an inside pocket!)

Of course, I'm not a moto jacket guy, so "tough" isn't my thing. The only jacket I have that I'd describe as bomb-proof is my Taylor's police jacket - that thing will outlast me!

marker2037

Practically Family
I would say a lot of guys on COW would agree that Bill Kelso's Indy jackets, particularly the Raiders is the end all be all for screen accuracy. I'm currently waiting for mine in the striated lamb.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I would say a lot of guys on COW would agree that Bill Kelso's Indy jackets, particularly the Raiders is the end all be all for screen accuracy. I'm currently waiting for mine in the striated lamb.

Largely true but screen accuracy isn't the question here. Quality is. Of course the Bill Kelso guys simply got hold of a Tony Nowak jacket that was patterned after an original he had been loaned by Lucasfilm. Everyone has been using the Nowak to re-calibrate the accuracy of their Raiders patterns, even Wested who ironically were the least accurate pattern up until about 8 years ago.

Curtis Winfield

New in Town
I have the Snake Plissken jacket from wested in horse. i also have a Firenze in goat and an off the rack crusade in goat. I made numerous changes to the Snake, all of which were done exactly as I asked, and when they say the it has roomy shoulders and a tapered waist they mean it. I got the snake and the indy a size larger than the Firenze. The snake is by far my favorite, I asked for indy style cuffs and two inside pockets with zips, and they made the pockets as large as the indy pocket.

Reactions: Zoo

stmike

One of the Regulars
What's the difference between the Hero cut and the standard cut on these jackets? Is the Hero more v-shaped? I've been thinking about a goat Indy lately.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What's the difference between the Hero cut and the standard cut on these jackets? Is the Hero more v-shaped? I've been thinking about a goat Indy lately.

The Wested hero version is a copy of the Tony Nowak copy of an alleged screen used original, which was shorter and hastily made, so fairly badly patterned and falls of the shoulders. The film jacket fits like a baggy sack. Essentially, the standard has been 'fixed up' to fit more like a real jacket. For details of the differences email Wested.

Zoo

One of the Regulars
Thought I had added to this thread that I ended up ordering a Wested Captain America; but no, I did not.

Here is the jacket when it arrived back in May.
IMG_20200526_152046909.jpg
IMG_20200527_084532512~2.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wested are not great on detail - they work in broad brushstrokes. The issue with repop jackets of 1940's patterns is if you get a critical line wrong you can mar the total effect. This style is tapered at the waist and looks lean even when the wearer is not. But I can't tell much from your photo. Here is an example of a period jacket - the back is the best way to see this period look.

1940's.jpg

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How long have you been waiting?

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wested hero version is a copy of the Tony Nowak copy of an alleged screen used original, which was shorter and hastily made, so fairly badly patterned and falls of the shoulders. The film jacket fits like a baggy sack. Essentially, the standard has been 'fixed up' to fit more like a real jacket. For details of the differences email Wested.
Seb, it’s interesting to hear you describe it as a baggy sack. In so many words, the Wested website description (with technical emphasis on the sleeve/shoulder) is almost like they call it a baggy sack too LOL. Even more interestingly, the baggy sackness is what makes the Hero jacket what it is, coupled with that strange seal/grey/brown color and drape, it’s like a hobo blanket. But I like it for exactly that, versus the later ones with regular shoulder lines and all

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Seb, it’s interesting to hear you describe it as a baggy sack. In so many words, the Wested website description (with technical emphasis on the sleeve/shoulder) is almost like they call it a baggy sack too LOL. Even more interestingly, the baggy sackness is what makes the Hero jacket what it is, coupled with that strange seal/grey/brown color and drape, it’s like a hobo blanket. But I like it for exactly that, versus the later ones with regular shoulder lines and all

Yes, well, it worked in a movie, it photographed well and a youthful looking Harrison wore it. But this doesn't mean it looks good on people in the real world. Didn't stop me buying three versions, though.

phelan77

New in Town
Has anyone heard from Wested lately? I send an enquiry on a custom Layer Cake jacket, via email about one week ago, but have yet to receive a reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk