Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recently Aquired Vintage Borsalino Hats

cubsfan

New in Town
I recently have received four vintage hats. Three of them are Borsalino Alessandria Grand Prix-Paris 1900. One of the hats says 'velour' on the inside. The other one is a Champs Supreme hat. They all measure size 7 1/4". I was wondering if anyone could help me out with their value and information. Pictures of them can be found at:

http://vintageborsalino.blogspot.com

Please make sure to click "older posts" at the bottom of the page to see all of the pictures.

Any help is appreciated

Weclome & you need some photos of sweatband & liners to get better idea of what time period & then to get some idea of value.
I know I paid $150 for a Borsalino like one pictured but I am a 7 5/8 & they go for a premium.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Hi, and welcome to the Lounge cubsfan. A photo of the liners and sweatbands would be helpful as the thin ribbon wide brim style has been made for decades. Looks like some nice acquisitions.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

cubsfan

New in Town
Update to the like above

I just added more photos to the web site link above. Please make sure to view all posts because only so many can fit on one web page. So you have to click the like at the bottom that says "older posts" to see every picture.

I hope these pictures help out.

cubsfan

New in Town
Labels

On the Grey Borsalino’s band there is Dickerson & Co.- Detroit label and inside the band is a company serial number, I think. It says 525P 7962 and underneath that it reads Palladio C. Nera Idorsca 7 1/4.

On the light brown Borsalino the band reads "imported by Block's Toggery. The serial number in this one is 31P 20038 and underneath reads Lino Ludoela 7 1/4.

The Velour Borsalino reads Marshall Field & Company "The Store for Men" on the band. The inside serial number is not legible. I can make out the size of 7 1/4 and possibly the word dolfone. Not too sure on that word being right.

The Champs hat only says XXXX Quality 100% White Coney.

I hope this helps, Thanks

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"These are the hates (sic) that I have recently aquired (sic)..."
Me, I love Borsalinos... :p

Nice, though. As a 7 1/4 the world is your (felt) oyster.

Borsalino Fan

Familiar Face
I recently have received four vintage hats. Three of them are Borsalino Alessandria Grand Prix-Paris 1900. One of the hats says 'velour' on the inside. The other one is a Champs Supreme hat. They all measure size 7 1/4". I was wondering if anyone could help me out with their value and information. Pictures of them can be found at:

Please make sure to click "older posts" at the bottom of the page to see all of the pictures.

Any help is appreciated

Hello;
By chance would the medium grey Borsalino be for sale? Thanks David

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The Velour Borsalino reads Marshall Field & Company "The Store for Men" on the band.
Field's "Store for Men" closed in the early 70's and use of the term was discontinued at that time. So the lid is at least 40 years old.....

BTW, the Store for Men was a sumptuous shopping venue complete with the Men's Grill, which featured a glass globe fountain and a glass dome ceiling, both by Louis Comfort Tiffany.

G84+Marshall+Field+Men's+Grill.jpg

Shauntos

New in Town
Hey there,

New to the site and to Borsalino's but I couldn't say no to what seems like an unworn 1933 XXXXXX Borsalino Homburg. Is this a good time period in quality for Borsalino? I appreciate any info!

-Shaun

IMG_3860.JPG IMG_3861.JPG IMG_3862.JPG IMG_3863.JPG IMG_3864.JPG

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Nice, I have one too - a soft grey in my case. Not a Homburg, but a good fedora with a velour felt. I'm pretty certain they were made in the 50's, although Borsalinos can be tricky to date. Where did the 1933 date come from, Shauntos?

Shauntos

New in Town
Nice, I have one too - a soft grey in my case. Not a Homburg, but a good fedora with a velour felt. I'm pretty certain they were made in the 50's, although Borsalinos can be tricky to date. Where did the 1933 date come from, Shauntos?

From my internet research (which we all know is 100% true), it seemed that if you flip the sweatband and look at the 5 digit serial number, the first 2 numbers denote the year made. I could be wrong. Constructive criticism welcome.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Shaun, the Borsalino you posted is very attractive.
I am sorry but it is not a homburg and not so old as you suppose.
The method suggested on internet is empirical and does not correspond to reality.
It 's very difficult to date the Borsalino, especially ancient ones
The hat was sold by a store in Rome "Ribot" with a liner (with brand Borsalino in French) that is typical of the Borsalino in years 60-70.
This is my opinion, but certainly Steven (besdor) you can give more detailed information

You'll find a good representation of the short velour Marque Grand Luxe on the Borsalino Brotherhood thread. They date from the later 1950s into the 1960s, perhaps beyond. 6X was the highest quality/price designation. Most have a pleated seam in the liner with a paper protector at the crown. I suspect this one is on the later side. It's a lovely hat to own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner