Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a crushable hat?

ortega76

Practically Family
Can anyone recommend a crushable, packable hat for travel? A fedora, porkie or the like would be preferred. Something a bit more urban than outback. Stetson has one or two that look cool, but I've only seen pics of them.

hatflick1

Practically Family
For summer try a San Diego Hat Company paper fedora. Yeah, it's made out of paper. I don't typically wear straw fedoras, prefering fur felt all year 'round. But I happened to be in Santa Monica and spotted this nifty blue fedora style hat which is capable of being rolled into a ball but then pops back into shape. It's a nice alternative to felt on really hot days. Otherwise, look into the Akubra Traveller.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How about a good quality vintage?
A lot of them would pop back into shape
after being rolled. I use a 50s Borsalino that
came rolled in a narrow, wedge-shaped box.

If you search around here a bit you'll find
discussions on the topic of rolling vintage hats
for travel.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Bittner-Austria makes wool crusher Alpenhütte in several patterns, color combinations, and weights. I own two. Brims are snap on one and down all around on the other. Brims are differentially profiled. I use them as hunting hats because of their quietness. And the more I beat them up, the less uncomfortable I get.

In fur felt, Borsalino makes a roll-up Traveller. Brim is uniform. Very soft and comfortable hat. I have one for sale in these classifieds.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
vintage!

I second the vintage recommendation. Find something in semi-rough (i.e. uncollectable) shape, so you don't mind kicking it around a bit. I picked up a ratty Borsalino from 1940 in a Montreal vintage store -- totally cheap, because the sweatband was falling out, and it had a couple of moth bites. I tore out the sweatband completely (and it now fits); steamed and shaped it; and it looks swank. And felt from the thirties and forties simply crushes and reshapes better than anything made later.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Since you've said you want something urban and not outback, I'll keep a lid on my kangaroo folder rant.... ;)

I've got that Akubra Traveller and it's one tough hat for sure. To tell you the truth, I have not put it through the paces, though, so I don't know how well it folds. I have no doubt that if Akubra says it will, then it will. They do caution you that it is meant to crunch up in airline overheads, but not meant to be crushed inside luggage for a long period of time.

The Austrian hat that the fellow mentioned. I am certain I've seen it on a website somewhere. Do a search for it on www.sierratradingpost.com or on the REI outlet website. I think it's in one of those places, for a good price.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
how's mine?

My wife just bought a dark grey Scala Classico from Dorfman Pacific to go with the Washington suit I ordered from Indy Magnoli.
I don't want to experiment to roughly in case my wife sees that I have totally mangled a hat she paid $80 for.
The guarantee does say that it can be rolled up, folded, stuffed in a pocket or packed flat in a suitcase.
If anyone has had any experience with this type let Ortega76 and me know.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy