Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for a Tailor in Melbourne?

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Greetings all,

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a good tailor in Melbourne that can reproduce a vintage style? I'm stuck 'down under' with only a single suit and am going to make the best of a 'bad' situation by having a few new suits made up.

Can travel a bit, but don't have a car here :-(

Cheers,
- Steve

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There are lots of places to get suits in Melbourne, but it really depends on what you're after.

Anton's, as mentioned by Godfrey, in MELBOURNE CENTRAL shopping-centre, is good for stuff like ties, jackets, trousers, suits, waistcoats, hats and I think shoes as well (although I may be wrong there). I went there and got a very nice waistcoat (which I'm wearing right now!).

Hats can be got at City Hatters, Flinders Street Station.

But if you're asking for someone who can do what I believe would be termed 'bespoke tailoring' (ie: literally making a tailor-made, made-to-measure suit, from scratch), I don't know if anyone in Melbourne does it.

Of course, there may be, but I've never met them. There are plenty of places which do alterations of suits, though. I was trying to find the card of the lady who altered MY suit, but it appears to have gone AWOL...

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Travellers in Collingwood (just outside the Melbourne central business district) is pretty good. I posted some photos on the above thread of a suit I had made there. The suits are high quality and the detail is excellent.

One word of warning. Be very specific about what you want. The head tailor can never understand why anyone would want a vintage style suit so he is always trying to modernise my choices.

Be firm and you will get a great suit. I have 4 Travellers suits in regular use and they are get nice comments.

Personally if you are happy to go off the rack with adjustments for the right fit then go to 'Antons'. They are also made locally so changes, adjustments, etc are easy. I bought a suit there the other day and had them run up a second pair of pants and waistcoat to specifications. Vintage style without the effort!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany