Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations sought: Photography of life and style 1930-1960

Metatron

One Too Many
Hello, being that I've started properly 'immersing' myself in mid 20th century stuff, I would be grateful if you would recommend your favourite books and blogs with profound photography of the life and style of the time.

In particular I'm interested in the often overlooked subjects: Spanish Civil war volunteers, Home front during world war two and post war(both axis and allies), workers, everyday folk going about their daily business, and especially anything in colour.

Names of relevant photographers, authors etc also welcome. I've recently become familiar with Robert Capa and his images of the Spanish civil war.

Please note that I've already waded through plenty of stuff on the forum, so apologies if there is a near identical thread, I didn't miss it for lack of trying. :)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not about the spanish civil war but homefront and second world war I recomemnd Lee Miller. A beautiful woman, model for Edward Steichen, Man Ray and Hoyningen Huene in the 30s and war reporter in the 40s.

Here she is having a bath in hitlers home after the victory
8.jpg

One of her photographs of the british homefront
homeHero.jpg

She really was an extraordinary woman. I adore her.
32479-large.jpg

Last picture is by Hoyningen Huene in the 30s.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
"Picture Post" Album: A 50th Anniversary Collection by Robert Kee.

It has page after page of fashion, including those from all levels of societty and all age groups. Manily British, but there is some European.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also try to get this book:

Least Wanted- A collection of mugshots. Poeple from all classes ...some of them might even be innocent. Quite the opposite of hollywood glam.
LeastWanted_9.jpeg

Mike Disfarmer- rural portraits of farmers and other people from his hometown. the studio is minimalistic but the portraits look very intense
disfarmer-photograph-front.jpg

The book "FSA: The American Vision" about the farm security administration with photographs of Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, Arthur Rothstein, Jack Delano and Gordon Parks. But you could look of for book from each of them and find similar topics
019670.jpg

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Thanks again for the recommendations.
I just ordered the Picture Post album and a book about the Wehrmacht magazine Signal. Both can be had for peanuts from amazon. I'll move onto your other recommendations soon, starting with Brassai. Love that French working class look since I saw the movie Le Jour Se Lève. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran