Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reconforming a bowler hat

tweedbowler

New in Town
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here! I have just bought a Lock and Co bowler hat on Ebay in my size (UK 7, Euro 57) but my head is more of an oval, so the front and the back of the hat won't easily fit at the moment. It does appear to be the right size, just the wrong shape.

Is there anyone in the UK who could reconform the hat? Or is this something I could do myself?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Go to Lock's. Because it's one of theirs they may reconform it for less than the £50 they charge for hats by other makers. Send them an e-mail just to be sure. Another place to try is Patey's who will charge £25 (but they are rather far out of London in Dulwich and they're only open Mon-Fri).

You cannot reconform a hard hat without the proper equipment.

tweedbowler

New in Town
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for that information, very helpful indeed. Have you had this done by Lock's or did you go to Patey's?

I saw on their website that Patey's have a shop in London - do they do the reconformature elsewhere?

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
What the? They have a shop in central London now (news to me!)? Well, that makes it much easier to get to them!

Regardless, I say go to Patey's now given that you don't have to take a train and bus journey to get to the workshop.

I have only had them reconform a topper and that was included in the price for repairs.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
When the conform these things do they actually press every dip and bump of your skull into the shape of the hat? I mean is the hat made to follow each and every contour of the individual skull? I hope the question makes sense. :)

jwalls

Vendor
zetwal said:
When the conform these things do they actually press every dip and bump of your skull into the shape of the hat? I mean is the hat made to follow each and every contour of the individual skull? I hope the question makes sense. :)
I don't know how Patey's dose it, but it is possible to conform any hat to that extent.

Homburgs are soft felt hats so the conforming would be done when the hat was made. Stretching afterwards can work but it is different situation from a hard felt hat like a Bowler. It would be interesting to see the procedure for Bowlers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo