Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~Recreating Hair styles of the 1940s~

Story

I'll Lock Up
A few weeks ago, I was startled out of a Facebook-browsing trance when I noticed that a particularly chic friend had replaced her longstanding profile photo with one in which her blond hair appeared to be dyed a dusty, rosy pink. The friend in question is a former fashion director at CondeNast, a thirty-something who is always impeccably dressed, walking the perfect line between trend and sophistication. What in the world was she doing with pink hair? Could this possibly be a "thing"? The answer, Google quickly informed me, is yes.

London and Hollywood, 1940
In World War II-era London, the U.P. reported, blondes who found that their hair clashed with their khaki uniforms began clamoring for a pink tint. "Blondes are going to turn pink because they have found out that their soldier boy friends prefer brunettes or chestnuts-or pinks," wrote the U.P. in September, 1940. Across the pond in Hollywood, the A.P. reported that Max Factor Jr., makeup artist to the stars (and, apparently, conspiracy theorist), believed that a new, naturally pink-haired breed of humans might one day threaten the viability of blonds and brunettes. Intermarriage between blonds and brunettes, Factor maintained, would eventually lead to a crop of "brownets", or pink-haired people. But don't worry, the U.P. wrote. "Factor believes we won't be in the pink for 300 years, at the soonest."

http://img2.slate.com/blogs/blogs/b...ust-like-it-was-in-1914.aspx?wpisrc=obnetwork

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I remember about a year or so ago, there was a very popular trend in my area of women wearing a hot pink stripe in their hair. Not teenage or college-age women, either - business/office type 30-40s age women. It was the weirdest thing ever and I can only guess it had something maybe to do with breast cancer awareness. :confused:

Smumo

New in Town
My hair continues to be bright freaking turquoise. I think I was a vintage mermaid in a past life. That's my only explanation.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer
Smumo, I want pictures of that :) I kinda miss my dark green bangs. Once in a while I think I should just dye it again and don´t care if it matches my clothes or not. But then again...

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"tinted ‘a tender, tender rose' is the great new thing in women's styles."

a tender, tender rose... mwahahahaaa! :rofl:

"Pink hair, is perfect for evening, ‘because women, at evening, should always look flower-like.'" there you have it: let's all go PINK, ladies. ;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I remember about a year or so ago, there was a very popular trend in my area of women wearing a hot pink stripe in their hair. Not teenage or college-age women, either - business/office type 30-40s age women. It was the weirdest thing ever and I can only guess it had something maybe to do with breast cancer awareness. :confused:

It was popular all around - The Globe & Mail had a section in the style pages dedicated to the trend. They showed pictures of Rachel McAdams, Avril Lavigne, even Julia Roberts with the trend. I'm not too sure where it came from, but it was short lived - It's much too "punk" to stay in the mainstream for long.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I used to have (amongst other things) pink hair. It was actually more a pink/magenta. As I'm naturally pink toned in skin colout, it actually looked very nice and it was always easy to choose what to wear with it, both make-up and clothes wise as it was such a strong colour that it limited the palatte.

My mum also did the lilac/purple rinse thing, which is why it was so hypercritical of her to moan about my hair over the years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points