Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing vs. Chippewa Engineer Boots

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The previous local distributor of Red Wing deals in hardware so in the past, we were able to get the modern safety boots and the heritage line. We could buy directly from the distributor at their showroom in an industrial building. My understanding from that distributor is that they took the distributorship for the work boots/safety boots. The distributor wasn't very keen on promoting the Heritage line in stead the fashion retailers would decide which Heritage line model to order and there was never enough demand to persuade Red Wing to produce some special models or reproduce some discontinued model. The distributorship has changed hands since 2018 or 2019 and there is now an exclusive Red Wing store in a premium shopping mall.

DrMacabre

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone, been reading the topic and i want to be sure. I just got a pair of 1901m49 in size 7.5 and they fit perfectly. I’m going to get a pair of RW 8268, based on this topic, RW engineers are smaller than Chippewa but on the other engineer topic, i got the impression from comments that i should get the same size as my iron ranger which is also 7.5, they fit well with an insole. I also own a pair of 877 in size 7 which fit great but since it’s a pretty narrow boots, i’m slightly confused about what size i should go now for the 8268. I have a pair of 2970 used in size 7 in the mail, does anyone know if there is any difference in sizing compared to other RW engineer ?

Edward

Bartender
Hello everyone, been reading the topic and i want to be sure. I just got a pair of 1901m49 in size 7.5 and they fit perfectly. I’m going to get a pair of RW 8268, based on this topic, RW engineers are smaller than Chippewa but on the other engineer topic, i got the impression from comments that i should get the same size as my iron ranger which is also 7.5, they fit well with an insole. I also own a pair of 877 in size 7 which fit great but since it’s a pretty narrow boots, i’m slightly confused about what size i should go now for the 8268. I have a pair of 2970 used in size 7 in the mail, does anyone know if there is any difference in sizing compared to other RW engineer ?

Fit is so personal that what any of these rest of us take will ultimately only be a rough set of parameters to start from, but FWIW my Iron Rangers are a size US9D, as are my RW 2268s, and the latter are an ideal fit on me. Not quite as snug as the IRs, you'd expect with a slip on boots vs lace-ups (like comparing hoe body-conforming a T-shirt is with a corset...), but ideal for my tastes. I don't need any sort of additional insole, at least as of yet. I don't think they'll stretch out enough for that to change. FWIW, with both these and my brown Chips, I can pull them on without needing to go sockless or do the plastic bag thing or whatever. Size is completely as labelled - for me. YMMV... I have very standard, mid0width feet. You might need an insole to snug 'em up a bit if your feet are narrower than the norm.

Blackadder

I have the 8268, the Iron Ranger and 1901m49. The issue with Red Wing is usually not the length but the width. Lace up boots like Iron Ranger is a bit more forgiving than the engineer when it comes to the width. The Red Wing D width boots have notoriously narrow instep and the steel toe engineer is worst for having the least room for adjustment. This is why people need to size up and it is why I wear 9.5 Iron Ranger and Black Smith (one size up from my EEE White's) but size 10 8268/2268 (one and a half size up for me).
All I can say is if you have really narrow feet then buy your regular size. If not, then don't buy them unless you have actually tried one on.

DrMacabre

One of the Regulars
I have the 8268, the Iron Ranger and 1901m49. The issue with Red Wing is usually not the length but the width. Lace up boots like Iron Ranger is a bit more forgiving than the engineer when it comes to the width. The Red Wing D width boots have notoriously narrow instep and the steel toe engineer is worst for having the least room for adjustment. This is why people need to size up and it is why I wear 9.5 Iron Ranger and Black Smith (one size up from my EEE White's) but size 10 8268/2268 (one and a half size up for me).
All I can say is if you have really narrow feet then buy your regular size. If not, then don't buy them unless you have actually tried one on.

Yeah, i see what you mean, i have D feet, gonna see how the 2970 will fit anyway and choose my 8268 size accordingly, minus the sole, they should be pretty similar right? I don’t think the 2970 have a steel toe though. I just looked at my IR next to the Chippewa and they clearly aren’t from the same parents the IR are like coming from a circus while they both share the same size but as you said, because of the laces, they are adjusting to whatever feet you put in. Even the 877 in 7 are still longer than the 1901m49.

Blackadder

Yeah, i see what you mean, i have D feet, gonna see how the 2970 will fit anyway and choose my 8268 size accordingly, minus the sole, they should be pretty similar right? I don’t think the 2970 have a steel toe though. I just looked at my IR next to the Chippewa and they clearly aren’t from the same parents the IR are like coming from a circus while they both share the same size but as you said, because of the laces, they are adjusting to whatever feet you put in. Even the 877 in 7 are still longer than the 1901m49.
Oh my Chippewa 1901 9.5 E. Incidentally, have you looked at the special edition 9269? A slightly darker roughout with a older last.
http://www.redwingshoe.co.jp/products/collection/detail/?id=325

DrMacabre

One of the Regulars
Oh my Chippewa 1901 9.5 E. Incidentally, have you looked at the special edition 9269? A slightly darker roughout with a older last.
http://www.redwingshoe.co.jp/products/collection/detail/?id=325
Yes but i wasn’t able to find anything that tells them apart from the 8268. Whats the difference ? Are they easier and cheaper to get?

50800 JPY plus shipping and taxes, that’s a lot. I’d rather find some used 8268. I like them with a lot of patina. I just got a pair of 1188 for €100, i can wait to find the perfect 8268 while having some fun with the Pecos. Also another lockdown in France is around the corner so i don’t think i will have many uses for all my shoes unfortunately.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Yes but i wasn’t able to find anything that tells them apart from the 8268. Whats the difference ? Are they easier and cheaper to get?

50800 JPY plus shipping and taxes, that’s a lot. I’d rather find some used 8268. I like them with a lot of patina. I just got a pair of 1188 for €100, i can wait to find the perfect 8268 while having some fun with the Pecos. Also another lockdown in France is around the corner so i don’t think i will have many uses for all my shoes unfortunately.
AS said different hide and different last. 8268's color is close to white/grey while 9269 is closer to brown. I suppose they are also tanned differently. 8268 is the same last (shape) as current 2268 while 9269 is the same last as 9268.
https://www.facebook.com/1828208647...on-of-engineer-boots-model/10155503381804707/
"Red Wing Engineer Boots #9268 11” Stovepipe
A reproduction of Engineer boots model #2268 back in 1980’s to 1990’s."
80s to 90s model is what some would call PT83 and PT91 models. Then came the PT99.
http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/2011/05/do-you-know-how-old-your-red-wing-2268.html

Last edited:

DrMacabre

One of the Regulars
Who knows. It may be deadstock 8268.
This shows the change in the last from 83 to present.
http://www.hopesmore.net/2010/12/pt83pt91pt99.html
Thanks for the link. PT83 looks fantastic. So much better with the lower strap.

$300 plus shipping from Europe, i’ve seen worse.

BF25F905-68DC-477D-B543-E262BBCACBBC.jpeg
03486632-8651-4137-BD18-C5AA523943C8.png
DF05559A-142C-435E-A546-467EF9A15F0C.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner