Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reining Hats and Dogs

I wanted to brag a little about a dog I had. She was Lab/Boarder Collie cross. She lived to be 15 years old. She has been gone for 9 years now. I am a paraplegic so she kind of served as a service dog to me although she was never trained for that. She was smart enough just to pick it up on her own. If I dropped something on the floor she would pick it up for me if she could get it in her mouth. She was also a great guard dog and she loved our cats. Still miss her.
Dogs are great companions and helpers. My wife (and I also) believes they are angels sent to look out for us crazy humans.

Just after leaving the orthopedic surgeons office and getting his 16 staples removed. Another 5 weeks of restricted activity.
View attachment 108297
Nice to see Greg.

He looks happy, as anyone would be to get those staples out!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looks like all's well, BB! Good deal!

Nice to see Greg.

Great! Looks like he's coming along.

Thanks fellas. He's doing better than I am. For ten days I've slept on an air mattress next to his 42" diameter indoor pen in case he needs to go out or has an issue. He's so used to going in and out the doggie door on his own that it's been an adjustment for all of us. He's so attached, or is it me, that he won't sleep in a room by himself w/o raising hell. Five more weeks of not going out or up and down steps on his own unleashed. I don't know. Any ideas on how to keep a cattle dog calm w/o the use of Ketamine?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks fellas. He's doing better than I am. For ten days I've slept on an air mattress next to his 42" diameter indoor pen in case he needs to go out or has an issue. He's so used to going in and out the doggie door on his own that it's been an adjustment for all of us. He's so attached, or is it me, that he won't sleep in a room by himself w/o raising hell. Five more weeks of not going out or up and down steps on his own unleashed. I don't know. Any ideas on how to keep a cattle dog calm w/o the use of Ketamine?
Greetings Bama:
Whew..thats a tough one. I would not hesitate to ask the Vet if there was some sort of prescription calming med. Like Xanax for humans to just take the edge off things, especially at night. You prob already checked though. I believe dogs have innately more “sense” than humans when it comes to “overdoing it”. We worry about it, they just know they can’t. If you have a room or area that you could dedicate as a recovery room, you could make it “yours and his”. It might eliminate distraction and be calming as well. All the better if it has a couch for you and a tv of course. Man/dog cave.
Good luck. Be well. Bowen

I would not hesitate to ask the Vet if there was some sort of prescription calming med. Like Xanax for humans to just take the edge off things, especially at night.
When I was a kid I had a great-uncle by marriage who had 3-4 Beagles that barked all the time. Come of a evening he would pour them each a saucer of beer to quiet them down for the night. Worked!

Yeah, but you ain't buying his beer.
About 20 years ago we had a Cairn Terrier. One night he got into a glass of single malt we had sitting on the coffee table. My wife told the vet about it later and he remarked "Oh man, you should have brought him in, I would have pumped his stomach" My wife asked if it was that bad for the dog. The vet said "Heck no, not for the dog, to get the Scotch!".

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Tom and KevinMcD_n.jpg

Myself and current bird dog Thomas Francis Meagher of the Sword "Tom" back after a day afield a few years back, when pup was...well: a pup. He's six now. Irish Red and White Setter, our third....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21