Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reissue A-2, Cockpit USA

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I'd like that. Curious about his thoughts about the men who flew missions: does he often think about them or is he just in the "do the job" mode? What's it like to fly it - or the P-51? Not the sensations but more like what does it mean to him?

Cocker

Practically Family
As far as I can remember, only the cockpit and the nose had a heating system on the B-17. It used glycol up to the late -G models which used the turbochargers as an air heating exchange system. The rest of the crew positions had not heating but they provided plugs for the electricaly heated suits.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here is what my friend said:

Most of the B17s now flying, if not all, have no heat. From what I've gathered they relied heavily on the electrically heated suits. Although I've been told that those were problematic. There's no doubt that bomber duty at high altitude was pretty difficult.

G. Kent Holiday

Cocker

Practically Family
From what I've gathered they relied heavily on the electrically heated suits. Although I've been told that those were problematic.

Indeed, they were! Either they were not working, or too hot, or overheating, causing small fires, or short-circuited, causing small fires... On top of that, they had to be worn below the shearling jackets and trousers, in combination with numerous other pieces of uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails