Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remaking Casablanca

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
To be a "remake" they have to basically follow the script and characterization. To simply use the title is not a remake. Shooting a film that is set 60 years later isn't a remake either even if the story is as close as possible to the original. They're simply takeoffs.
More like "rip offs."
Bollywood is Bollywood: formulaic, predictable, and tediously long for my tastes.
What annoyed me was,
"My film will be a tribute to the original," said Rajeev Nath, the director . . . As a student of films, I had watched this great classic 20 times."​
"20 times"? ? ? :rolleyes:
And you call yourself a student of film? Casablanca is one of those things in life that has to be appreciated rather than studied.

*must be young. who was it said something like, "if you want something done, get a youngster while they still know everything"?*

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Hollywood films aren't much different. We make franchises, we make remakes of movies that need not be remade (many that were foreign films), sequals to movies that should have ended after the first film, we adapt novels and don't follow them word for word, and very rarely do we ever make a film that EVERYBODY loves or likes. Why anyone on this side of the globe would be angry at another movie industry entirely, copying a Hollywood movie is beyond me.

I don't want to make an arguement about this and won't comment afterwards but as a film student myself, it is highly educational to study other films by their character development, their story lines, their camera angles, the lighting, the sound, the music and pretty much everything else that goes into making a movie when thinking about making your own.

I don't understand why the use of the basic story should be causing such concern. It's just a story. And not very good one, as films go. Much of it was hackneyed and predictable even at the time it was made. (Don't get me wrong, the film is an all-time great, but not because of the story. The acting and characterisation are what make it great.)

I wouldn't go to see this film expecting to see something which resembles Casablanca.

And i can think of no great director who got anywhere without studying film. Studying does not preclude appreciation. There seems to be some impression floating around that "the greats" should be viewed passively, without any hint of criticism. IMO, an absurd stance.

happyfilmluvguy said:
I don't want to make an arguement about this and won't comment afterwards but as a film student myself, it is highly educational to study other films by their character development, their story lines, their camera angles, the lighting, the sound, the music and pretty much everything else that goes into making a movie when thinking about making your own.

precisely

bk

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
I don't understand why the use of the basic story should be causing such concern. It's just a story. And not very good one, as films go. Much of it was hackneyed and predictable even at the time it was made. (Don't get me wrong, the film is an all-time great, but not because of the story. The acting and characterisation are what make it great.)

Agreed. It's one of my favorite films, but not for the story.

KL15

One of the Regulars
BakingInPearls said:
Don't know about anyone else here but it sounds weird to me.

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/va/20070808/118657242000.html

All and All I would watch it as a laugh with a bunch of friends and allot of cocktails.

You know, how many out of work screen writers do you think they're are in Hollywood? Yeah, I'm thinking quite a few too. Some of these ideas that these out of work screenwriter have must be good. Yet the best that they can do is re-make old films.

Edward

Bartender
KL15 said:
You know, how many out of work screen writers do you think they're are in Hollywood? Yeah, I'm thinking quite a few too. Some of these ideas that these out of work screenwriter have must be good. Yet the best that they can do is re-make old films.

Sad, isn't it? OTOH, the viewing public have to bear the much of blame for this too. It's the same with music - you try getting a gig as a band playing original material these days, and just watch the (good) covers acts raking it in while you suffer from lack of gigs and lack of audiences. People nowadays seem to prefer what is familiar over what is new. Sad, but true.

KL15

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Sad, isn't it? OTOH, the viewing public have to bear the much of blame for this too. It's the same with music - you try getting a gig as a band playing original material these days, and just watch the (good) covers acts raking it in while you suffer from lack of gigs and lack of audiences. People nowadays seem to prefer what is familiar over what is new. Sad, but true.

You're exactly right. Back when I was still in the music game we couldn't get gigs playing original material. I don't want to call people stale today, but I'm running out of words to describe much of the public. Love your town BTW,

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Leading Edge said:
Bollywood is Bollywood: formulaic, predictable, and tediously long for my tastes.

And most modern Hollywood films aren't?

In terms of the Bollywood Casablanca, good luck to them. It'll never beat the original but if they wish to make a similar film set in India for their local market, why not.

Edward

Bartender
KL15 said:
Love your town BTW,

I thought you might have a bit of a thing for British style... ;) Actually, I had wondered if you're an expat? I'm more an immigrant myself - I'm from Northern Ireland originally - there are those who'll still give you a damn good hidinmg for alternatively suggesting the six counties are or aren't in the same country as London, lol.... but they're way wide of the mark. London isn't even the same planet as Northern Ireland. I love the city, there's no way I could go back to a semi-rural existence now! :)

kbuzz

New in Town
Attn Hoosier Daddy

HoosierDaddy said:
Madonna in Egrid's role is what floored me...

HD
(jus kidding)

HD- could you drop me an email. I wanted to ask you a question or two about some of your jacket posts but do not yet have access to PMs. its

caledoniasoulmusic-tubesATyahoo.com

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smithy said:
In terms of the Bollywood Casablanca, good luck to them. It'll never beat the original but if they wish to make a similar film set in India for their local market, why not.

Good point. Whom does it really harm? No one.

dostacos

Practically Family
Twitch said:
To be a "remake" they have to basically follow the script and characterization. To simply use the title is not a remake. Shooting a film that is set 60 years later isn't a remake either even if the story is as close as possible to the original. They're simply takeoffs.
yeah and calling a movie SCARFACE.......:rage:

Feraud

Bartender
Madonna wants to play Ilsa Lund in an effort to revive her perpetually moribund acting career.
"She wants to update the story and maybe set it in a modern war zone such as Iraq. There is no script yet. Madonna and her people are testing the waters to see if this is the right vehicle for her and if a major studio will get behind the project."

I cannot believe I agree with Hollywood execs..
But the planned project has been met by stiff opposition among Hollywood executives, according to British newspaper The Mail On Sunday.
http://www.hollywood.com/news/Madonna_to_Star_in_Casablanca_Remake/5210708

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
carter said:
Has Pamela Anderson made anything that wasn't forgettable?

OK, I know, I know. I meant other than the obvious! :eusa_doh: Carter

I dunno. If you ask me, even her sex tape was a yawner. I just can't get into barbie dolls. Without her make-up and plastic implants she's nothing. I much prefer REAL women.

Actually, I admit my only real point to this post was to break the 100 post mark. But I'm there!

Bugsy

One Too Many
IS NOTHING SACRED??? How can this even be considered?? I, of course, asked that about the remake of "A Star is Born" (the Streisand debacle), "Mutiny on the Bounty", and the sequel to "Gone with the Wind".
SCORE:
Me: 3
Holllywood: 0

IF IS AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Bugsy said:
IS NOTHING SACRED??? How can this even be considered?? I, of course, asked that about the remake of "A Star is Born" (the Streisand debacle), "Mutiny on the Bounty", and the sequel to "Gone with the Wind".
SCORE:
Me: 3
Holllywood: 0

IF IS AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!

My feelings exactly! :rage: :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld