Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing the epaulettes from a vintage sheepskin?

DaveJH

New in Town
Hello all,

I recently found my Dad's old sheepskin coat from the 1960s, worn twice, and he's said I can have it. It fits me perfectly, however I'd prefer it without epaulettes. I'm curious as to whether anyone has any tips on how to remove the epaulettes without damaging the coat itself, or if they're best left on the coat.

Many thanks.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As the Dr said they are a period fixture, but to remove them should be no big deal except at the shoulder/arm hole seam.
I'm imagining that the end closest to the collar has a button, so just cut the thread on the button then pull the thread from inside the coat. The downside is you will have a hole or small number of holes where the button thread went through the coat.
Now the shoulder/ sleeve area is another matter, but you will need to unpick the stitching from inside the coat, you should see the end of the epaulet then re sew this.
If the epaulet is similar to an A2 jacket then you in pick in the same manner but will be left with a series of holes. Sewing through original holes will make a much neater job in the end.
Good luck, JTee

DaveJH

New in Town
Thanks for the replies!

The coat is very similar to a Chesterfield in cut, made of sheepskin with fur around the collar so I feel getting rid of the epaulettes will improve the look. However, I'll weigh up my options!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd look under the sewn parts (along the edges) to see if the material looks lighter or darker underneath.
Often a covered area retains the original color/tanning where exposure to light/air/dust/etc has darkened
or lightened the rest of the coat. Might look pretty bad.

It all depends how they're attached. If they're sewn into the sleevehead it could get a bit tricky when you come to reclose the seam after removing the epaulette, depending on how handy you are with the needle. If they're tacked onto the top of the shoulder there;ll be stitch holes left behind that may or may no be unsightly. (That's likely to be a problem however you remove the epaulettes.)

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
If you posted some detail pictures, might be easier to say...

Epaulettes... period feature, matter of taste... I have a practical reason, I have my camera bag so A2 style is fine, but the buttoned ones cause havoc... same reason I don't like padded shoulders (as if I'd need any more padding)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran