Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Old/New Akubra Federation Deluxe - Work Of Art

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Hey folks, while I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m waiting for the MD?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to give me word if they?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re going to give me my wife back tonight or not, I thought I would spend some time with you talking about my reblocked and rebashed fedora.

First and foremost I wanted to send my Akubra Federation Deluxe to someone to clean and block for a few reasons. I wanted to get it serviced because I treat my car better then my trademark and I wanted some professional care. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve abused this fedora and I wanted to bring it back to its original shape.

Second, I heard a lot of good things about Art Fawcett from The Fedora Lounge. I wanted to see what he could do. He?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a huge favorite on MK?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s board and I wanted to see his stuff. Sending my Akubra Deluxe was hard?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ made harder that when I saw it again it would be a totally different fedora.

Third, our buddy Fedora doesn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t reblock in my size?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ we?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve imposed on him quite a bit and I didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to over-do it. He?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a huge friend and I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t want to go to far and put any extra demands on his generosity.

Which turned out to be not quite true. But in a really good way.

Dlx_fwd.jpg

Dlx_pro.jpg

Here it is right out of the box. Has no profie taper, but HAD some forward taper untill I started wearing it and the shape conformed to the shape of my head.

Ren_fwd.jpg

Ren_pro.jpg

These are photos taken from my Wanted Poster at the Post office. Actually?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ this is the fedora as it is now. The more I wear it, the better it looks.

Art hasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t done any magic with the fedora: he restored it to its former glory?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ Its better yet the same. The service Art provides is incredible. We spoke on the phone for about 45 minutes about fedoras and related issues and he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s an incredible friend to the hobby and the community.

There are only TWO things I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll do differently when I send another fedora out to Art to reblock. None of this is his fault in the slightest: I should have told Art not to use any stiffener on the brim, and I should have sent him more pics of what I had in mind. He gave me EXACTLY what I asked for: Raiders of The Lost Casablanca would be the best way to describe the look I was going for, which was vague but he managed to do just that.

Right now, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m eyeing my older Akubra Regular and I have it in mind to send it out to Art to reblock and bash, too. Since I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m saving it for Coppertop?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ we?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll see.

The only trouble is?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ now that I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ve told my fellow COWhands about ?¢‚Ǩ?ìWorks of Art?¢‚Ǩ?, the rest of you might follow suit and I won?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t get my fedora

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That was very nice. I saw your hat when it came out of the box (I cut it open). Your hat wasn't bad, but had a taper, and a strange crease along the top of the corwn.

I never saw the finished product, but only watched the first few hours Art put into dismantling the hat, and then giving it the initial block.

My view thur this monitor as your photos show, is that you got a true and correct vintage look to your Akubra hat.

I hope you are happy, and see how a change in block can breathe new life into an old friend.

I think it looks better now than how it was before, IMHO.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Ren,
Thanks for posting the hat and the review. I'm glad it pleases you and is ready for more adventures.)) Believe it or not, I didn't add any stiffner. When putting the hat under steam and the sandbag ( brim flange press) the heated sand tends to bring out the stiffner that is already in the center of the body so I think that's what you are feeling and will lessen over time. I only add it when the brim just won't hold it's shape anymore, which wasn't the case in yours.

I'll await Coppertops as soon as your wife is better.

Art

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Art, I really can't say enough about what you've done. The more I look at the fedora the more delighted I am.

It's exactly what I've wanted someone to do... bring it back to it's orginal condition and then some. This fedora's really been abused since I first got it and you're restored it to a prestine condition.

It's better then new, it just needs to be broken in. I'm wearing it now and just checking my self out in the reflection of the window and can't get over that it's the best of both hats worn by Ford and Bogart.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good analogy

Well Folks! Doesn't this show that hats are a clothing item and therefore are subject to wear? Just like your suit, you have to occasionally send it to the dry cleaners for a clean and press.

Well, your favorite quality hat, over time, will require a "clean and block" from time to time.

Think of it as preventive maintenance.

Re: Good analogy

Originally posted by Andykev
Well Folks! Doesn't this show that hats are a clothing item and therefore are subject to wear? Just like your suit, you have to occasionally send it to the dry cleaners for a clean and press.

Well, your favorite quality hat, over time, will require a "clean and block" from time to time.

Think of it as preventive maintenance.

Ah, tell me about it. Man I love that gray Dobbs Art did for me. The more I wear it the more I like it. The block is just outstanding. That crown block is really cool with the bump out in the center of it. Just perfect. :cool:
Ren, now you understand why I have repeatedly said "Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone or we will never be able to get near Art's place." LOL Your Fed looks like a vintage felt from the pictures---sort of like my 40s Stetson. Surely a sign that it would fit into Raiders of the Lost Casablanca. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou