Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repro'd B-29/B-36 Crew Cap

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This vintage leather cap was purchased for my birthday this year:
84908508_tp.jpg

As I indicated in an earlier post, I intended to modify it according to photographs I found researching the kind of crew headgear worn in the Post World War II era by USAF B-29 crews over Korea, and B-36 crews of the SAC bomber era up to about 1957 or so. Some of the shots I found :
1f77_1.jpg

frdpos40_edited.jpg

mismrl32.jpg

korean7.gif

Deciding on a color scheme that would seem appropriate to the era, I decided to add patches to the sides of the hat, a letter to indicate the wearers position in the crew, and letters on the visor to indicate his home state, and it's surely no surprise I chose my own home state. Not being able to find patches on-line that I needed or could afford, I transferred images to heat transfer material from a craftstore onto felt and then sewed them to the sides of the cap choosing the sides based on where the emblems would be on the sides of the front of the airplane, and then hand painted over them, knowing that hand painted patches were not uncommon, and rationalizing that the crewman who would have worn this cap could easily have hand copied some shoulder patches, short of actually having extras to place on the cap.

The cap is leather, non GI issue, and therefore I created the back story that it was a cap sent from his home in Michigan, by his parents, or wife, to wear to keep him warm at high altitudes, not being aware of the pressurized cabins providing heated comfort that B-17 and B-24 bomber crews would not have enjoyed. Therefore he modified the hat to wear as a crew cap, or to keep as a memento.

The patches are the 9th Bombardment Squadron, heavy, and the 7th Bomb Wing, out of Carswell AFB. This would place its owner as the navigator of either a B-29, or B-36 in SAC's nuclear arsenal. I like to think it was both as each was introduced to the 9th Bomb Sq H.

The 9th patch is a beautiful design that was formally adopted in 1932, and reflects the history of the 9th going back to night recon flights in the three major Allied offensives of 1918 that the 9th US Aero Squadron to part in, symbolized by each of the three searchlight beams which form a Roman "9". The 7th Bomb Wing patch has the Latin MORS AB ALTO: "Death From Above". The 9th patch is a total paint over in grey, silver and black, the official colors of the emblem. The 7th patch has simply been highlighted with gold paint over paint enhanced blue.

Black acrylic was used for the top of the crown, and visor, and white acrylic for the state abbreviation. The "N" for navigator is from light grey felt and stitched by hand to the crown.

The wings are period correct navigator wings that pinned neatly to the leather piece across the front of the cap. The wings cost me more than the cap plus shipping.

Here it is now:
229331745_767411458_0.jpg

229332052_767412549_0.jpg

229375612_767567786_0.jpg

229375940_767568976_0.jpg

dean

carter

I'll Lock Up
TERRIFIC!

Dean,

That is simply an amazing cap. I am impressed with the amount of research and preparation that goes into each hat or cap that you create. Not only do you strive for something that could be accurate to the period, you also create a tribute to the personnel who might have worn the cap. Just terrific work. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Carter

Razzman

One Too Many
Well Done! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I completely agree with Carter your research is quite commendable, and the workmanship is impeccable. You are to be congratulated. My hat is off to you Dean. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Here's a cap for you DG! sorry I don't know anything about it, I went to the museum yesterday. There was an exhibit about WWII participants from Jacksonville. I will be posting other pics in the WWII section soon.:)

PC220017-1.jpg

deanglen

Thanks, InDcop, nice picture! Thanks Thunder and Rene, your appreciation is very gracious. It's fun to be an occasional alternative to all the felt in here and be accepted all the same.

dean

deanglen

LEUII said:
Fantastic job, Dean. I love those crew caps. I will inherit two of them at some point. A point which I'm not looking forward to either.

I understand, and one of the reasons I prefer historical military caps is that it honors those who served in one very special way...that their service would not be forgotten. "For it is the curse of men...to forget." If ever you get a chance to post pictures of those caps, before, or after, shall we say, please do so. They will be appreciated as an honor their owners.

dean

deanglen

Bumping this for the heck of it. Just to clarify my present, and recently enduring, crew cap fixation. I've recently re-done one of my caps and made two others in the process. Pics will follow soon.

dean

deanglen

Re-Worked as a reunion hat, minor changes

Did a little hand lettering and decided it would qualify either as a cap worn during service,or reunion. Dropped the homestate "MICH" because I might redo it differently. The "41" would refer to the "victor" number of the plane. I would conider this cap circa 1949-1951. changed out the navigator wings for the Major's rank insignia, just for the heck of it. Might put the wings back. It's fun to work and re-work as ideas come forward.

279490362_946596214_0.jpg

279489894_946594543_0.jpg

279489356_946592626_0.jpg

279488911_946591048_0.jpg

279491465_946600159_0.jpg

279487944_946587567_0.jpg

279488490_946589535_0.jpg

dean

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Dean,

What a fascinating exercise. Just out of curiousity, is the cap stiff or soft? For some reason the glossy finish makes it look stiff to me, but you look quite comfortable wearing it.

I loved your F-86 crew cap as well, I wish I'd said something on that thread.

-Dave

deanglen

The cap is soft leather with glossy finish. Thank you for your kind words, DC.
i like to think of these efforts as a pleasant diversion from the standard here.

dean

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for bumping this, Dean--I missed it the first time around! :eusa_doh:

The cap looks terrific. As others have commented, the amount of research and work you put into your caps is inspiring.

During the late '80s I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB, Austin, TX. At the time it was a TAC base flying RF-4Cs. My wife, (then my girlfriend) was stationed 200 miles north at Carswell AFB.

Rhonda was on the Base Closure Team that closed Carswell AFB. She had the honor of being in the final Retreat Ceremony there.

Of course, Carswell is now a Naval Air Station and a Joint Reserve base, as well as a federal prison/medical center and who knows what else.

While she was stationed there the military exercises always ended the same--once the bombers and tankers were launched, everyone died in a nuclear blast. The idea was to get the birds up and on their way before that happened.

Regards,
Tom

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Been looking for ways to do my B-1 hat in the same way, I have a good leather patch that matches Im making a squadron patch out of maybe...wow! Great! I know this thread is old news, but cool, would have been good without the writing too.

Thanks for posting.

C.C. Benoit

Vendor
hope you guys enjoy , USAF Korea War Theatre Made Air Refeuling 903 rd Sqaudron cap.I sold it last week.
arefs.jpeg
top view.jpeg
front view.jpeg
903.jpeg

C.C. Benoit

Vendor
Dean,

What a fascinating exercise. Just out of curiousity, is the cap stiff or soft? For some reason the glossy finish makes it look stiff to me, but you look quite comfortable wearing it.

I loved your F-86 crew cap as well, I wish I'd said something on that thread.

-Dave
incredible

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran