Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction 1930s Suits (although that's a matter of opinion ...)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agree on the Workwear and the "look" of the pictures. Not sure about the suits though (see homepage-> "tailoring") Narrow legs could be inspired by the 1920s mugshots from sydney but...hm...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Good point. Designers get their ideas in small bites - one mugshot here, one movie still there, one Lp cover someplace else. They're artists, not scholars. They work in flashes.

As to the decline in tailoring vs. OTR - I think we've just been trained to look to the brand culture when we want Something Different. At least there'll be a little wink of approval from the culture that it's fashionable for now.

The tailoring trade is responsible too of course. A lot of craft has been lost, and the customer's choices have been narrowed like old lapels. They also hew to fashion - on a slower cycle, given that it's gents' clothes, but that just makes them more conservative. Unless you go high-end, they'll talk you out of anything that's not proper business dress.

Not to slag the craftsman - he has to cater first to his market or he's gone. It's professionalism, which is a double-edged sword.

As for soft shoulder suits in the 30s, I think they were so unusual as to be an affectation at the time. Very Ivy League, worn by the kind of customer who never talked about clothes, not even with tailors. ;)
33%20with%20Sara%20at%20Hyde%20Park.gif

Even FDR, a blueblood to the core, had a little stuffing in his shoulder (but not his shirt).

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'm consistently surprised by the price of some off the rack suits compared to MTM or even bespoke suits. Why do people buy designer or in this case inaccurate reproductions, when a good tailor can do a reasonably good (fully canvassed) job for a mere £500?

I can see spending five hundred on something really good off the rack that was just a perfect fit for me, and I've seen some pretty ropey "bespoke" (actually made to not quite measure) selling at much less. It is possible to pay a fair bit for OTR for quality of workmanship and materials. That said, as a general rule you're absolutely right: if you can find bespoke (or even M2M) of the same quality or better for the same price or less, it would be a much better option. I assume those who would still choose OTR do so from a mix of preferring the "approval" of a brand name, not having the patience to wait for a suit to be made - or not having the time (an unexpected funeral to attend, old weddings and funerals suit unexpectedly "shrunk in wardrobe"...), or simply not caring about the details beyond it fitting, more or less, and so being hapy enough just t walk away with something rather than go for fittings and wait.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Whilst I have seen American suits with flared legs in photos from the period, I have never seen that style on British suits (although the straight legs suits that were worn short often appeared flared).
Any idea of whether the flared legs in the early 30s were just an American thing?

Yes. Europe had the wide Oxford bags that could fit over a pair of plus-4s. The US had sailor inspired, wide bottom flairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt